Lt. Commander
I know there are threads out there about the outrageous prices on the Exchange, but I'm just wondering if anyone has actually managed to sell anything at those prices? I was going to sell some stuff, but I looked at those prices and thought, "Nobody's going to buy this!" I was actually going to post things at a reasonable price, but since you can't sort by price (or at least, I didn't see an option), I figured people would never find the reasonable prices through all the ridiculous prices.
So has anyone actually sold a Mk I phaser for 30k?? Or are people just wasting their time and wondering why the fish aren't biting? I figure I'll just vendor everything and at least get it off my hands.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I sell many things on the exchange. I don't post things at the outrageous 30k for a MK 1 phaser price though.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 09:57 AM
I sell stuff on the Exchange every day. White gear sells fine, if you're reasonable in your pricing. Blue and Green gear sells even better, and apparently allows room for some unreasonable pricing.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 09:59 AM
I sell on occasion - usually dumping huge amounts of 'crafting' material I have no real desire to use myself as by the time I get to the next 'tier', I'm already two ahead of it at normal acquisition rates unless I farm. >>

EDIT: And I try to keep it from being ridiculous - I think I threw 40 some odd Mineral Samples up for 25k the last time I did anything, when they were selling for about that much on average for 1/8th the volume.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 10:01 AM
I don't understand all the questions and complaints about prices. This is an online game. Online games have some of the oddest economies you'll ever see. When placing someting at a high price, the seller isn't losing anything at all. So what if people don't buy it ever? It's not like the seller is going to use his item.

But what if someone DOES buy your MK I phaser for 30k? Then good on you.

A personal experience from the other day: I looted a MK III purple-quality item that was utterly useless to me. I looked on the exchange, saw one on there for 2.4mil, and thought, "Now this is an opportunity!"

So I posted in zone chat that I was selling the same item for 400k. Holy smokes, I was inundated with whispers from all kinds of people, none of which wanted to buy it. Some people were actually ANGRY. Appalled that I would sell ANYTHING for that cost, much less a MK III.

I got several comments like, "nobody can afford that, this game was just launched, what's your problem?"

My response? "But what if someone can? What if someone does?"

After about five minutes of performing damage control on all the flames sent my way, I decided to try my luck on the exchange. At 2am, GMT -8, I set the item up for 400k. When I woke up at 6am, it had already sold.

That's right, sold. Sold for a "ridiculous price nobody would ever pay".

What's my point in all of this? Who cares if a body wants to try to set bait for a sucker? If an item is purchased, the price wasn't "too high".
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moohasha View Post
I know there are threads out there about the outrageous prices on the Exchange, but I'm just wondering if anyone has actually managed to sell anything at those prices?
I've sold plenty on the Exchange but then again, I only charge the listed price for the items I sell. I occasionally buy stuff too - use the filtering and the search string and you can normally narrow down the list pretty easily - it'd be nice if you could search with a price range/cap too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman007 View Post
What's my point in all of this? Who cares if a body wants to try to set bait for a sucker? If an item is purchased, the price wasn't "too high".
Whilst your point is a valid one, the problem is it turns the Exchange from a useful repository of reasonably priced (but not necessarily 'cheap') equipment into an elitists only store. Hopefully as the game matures, the Exchange will level out.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman007 View Post
I don't understand all the questions and complaints about prices. This is an online game. Online games have some of the oddest economies you'll ever see. When placing someting at a high price, the seller isn't losing anything at all. So what if people don't buy it ever? It's not like the seller is going to use his item.

But what if someone DOES buy your MK I phaser for 30k? Then good on you.

A personal experience from the other day: I looted a MK III purple-quality item that was utterly useless to me. I looked on the exchange, saw one on there for 2.4mil, and thought, "Now this is an opportunity!"

So I posted in zone chat that I was selling the same item for 400k. Holy smokes, I was inundated with whispers from all kinds of people, none of which wanted to buy it. Some people were actually ANGRY. Appalled that I would sell ANYTHING for that cost, much less a MK III.

I got several comments like, "nobody can afford that, this game was just launched, what's your problem?"

My response? "But what if someone can? What if someone does?"

After about five minutes of performing damage control on all the flames sent my way, I decided to try my luck on the exchange. At 2am, GMT -8, I set the item up for 400k. When I woke up at 6am, it had already sold.

That's right, sold. Sold for a "ridiculous price nobody would ever pay".

And it's people like you that assist inflating prices. I hate your type.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I usually look at what others are charging for the item I want to sell, then undercut their prices while still making a good profit (Usually at or a little under 2x the initial price of the item.)

I thought it broke one time and didn't list one of my items, but it turns out someone just bought it within like 5 seconds of me posting it.

The reason it looks like everything has outrageous prices, is all the things posted for good prices are being sold.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post
And it's people like you that assist inflating prices. I hate your type.
Putting on the horns, tail, and wings to play Devil's Advocate, but how exactly is it inflating prices in this instance necessarily?

By undercutting the one price by around two million, for a very hard to obtain item (at around 16% of the other price on the market, mind you), isn't he doing something in this case to REDUCE prices drastically across the board?

And it was clearly worth the price to the person that bought it, as someone did.

Where's the inflation again?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AegisPrime View Post
Whilst your point is a valid one, the problem is it turns the Exchange from a useful repository of reasonably priced (but not necessarily 'cheap') equipment into an elitists only store. Hopefully as the game matures, the Exchange will level out.
I'm all for the exchange leveling out, but that won't prevent me from getting while the getting's good.