Lt. Commander
# 1 How is experience shared?
02-04-2010, 06:05 AM
I have a friend who is lower level than me. I read in one of the dev interviews that if a high level player grouped with a lower level one, that the lower level one would get hardly any experience. So, I am just curious how is experience shared in groups?

Is it just based on levels with the higher level player(s) taking a disproportionate amount? Is it based on damage, so if you run in a stripped down Miranda you won't hog too much?

If anyone can point me in the direction of some information on this topic I would greatly appreciate it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 06:07 AM
That would be nice to know.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I have a friend who is lower level than me. I read in one of the dev interviews that if a high level player grouped with a lower level one, that the lower level one would get hardly any experience. So, I am just curious how is experience shared in groups?

Is it just based on levels with the higher level player(s) taking a disproportionate amount? Is it based on damage, so if you run in a stripped down Miranda you won't hog too much?

If anyone can point me in the direction of some information on this topic I would greatly appreciate it.
It would be very good to know
/bump
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 06:42 AM
It appears I'm not the only one in the dark on this.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 06:45 AM
I'd also like to know how this works as I'm already a commander and I've got a friend starting the game in the next few days. I'd like to be able to help him out, but I'm afraid I'd actually be hindering him if I come flying in in my commander, or by that point, captain vessel.

Personally, I think it'd be kind of neat to see the devs make it so if a captain jumped back in his Miranda-class ship, he could help out his lieutenant buddy without putting him at a disadvantage experience-wise. It'd be nice to blow the dust off our old ships from time to time and get some use out of them.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm still hoping to get a reply to this. Anybody know?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 09:03 AM
I've been trying to test this, and I'm not figuring it out either. I guess I should say, I'm not seeing anything consistent.

My observation seems to be that if you take out a ship solo, then you'll get more skill points than if you get help.

Last night, I was in a variety of groups. Usually what I saw was that a ship that would normally give me 5 skill points if I defeated it solo, was giving me one if everyone in the group worked together. However, if I started attacking that same ship, and did the majority of the damage before any assistance was given to finish it off, I might get three skill points. However, I was tracking the combat log closely enough to tell you this always happened or to offer any percentages.

I also didn't think to compare the ranks of the captains in the group.

I'd love to see what others have been able to figure out.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Considering a lot of other things with this game are related to the damage you do, it does stand to reason you'd get more experience if you did more damage to something.

I remember going to do the Crystalline Entity mission as a Lieutenant Commander and there were a number of Commanders farming the Entity. They did most damage and got the top rewards while I got a measly weapon battery. It also seems the same with any regular fights; whoever dealt the most damage gets the item drop (if there was one).

If that's the case, I don't see how a Captain jumping back into a Miranda-class to help out a Lieutenant friend could hurt, too much. Just let the friend pound away for awhile before opening fire, or just provide support like sending science and engineering teams to their ship.

I'm at work, however, and can't test this theory. Hopefully some of you that are able to play today can get back to us on this?