Lt. Commander
# 1 James T. Kirk is Dead
02-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Something to ponder.

Captain Kirk had an older brother, George Sam Kirk. In the new movie, Kirk has no older brother. He’s the first born.

Simple: The altered timeline resulted in a scenario by which the Kirks named their firstborn James Tiberius Kirk instead of George Sam Kirk.

As such, I submit to you the film’s James T. Kirk is in fact GEORGE SAM KIRK. The true Jim Kirk will NEVER BE BORN.

In the original Trek series, we only ever saw George after his death on a colony. The corpse of George Samuel Kirk was portrayed by William Shatner with a mustache. They were almost identical.

James T. Kirk is dead.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Umm, no. George is in the movie.

It's on the deleted scenes of the DVD, but you also see him in the movie. The boy he passes while he is driving his father's corvette (the Corvette was his father's and his uncle took it) is George.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold-Rush View Post

It's on the deleted scenes of the DVD, but you also see him in the movie. The boy he passes while he is driving his father's corvette (the Corvette was his father's and his uncle took it) is George.
Ah, but in the theatrical cut (and in the credits) that character is named "Johnny" and isn't George Kirk. So now we have a great schism to make the midevil Christian schism seem pedantic.

SET PHASERS TO NERD.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Of course, in the original timeline, George Samuel Kirk was his brother, and died at Deneva. George's son Peter survived, however.

Peter Kirk and his descendants, anyone?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
Ah, but in the theatrical cut (and in the credits) that character is named "Johnny" and isn't George Kirk. So now we have a great schism to make the midevil Christian schism seem pedantic.

SET PHASERS TO NERD.
They (Abrhams and crew) mentioned "George" on the director's Commentary!

DISRUPTORS TO MAXIMIUM NERDAGE! ENGINES ON FULL NERD-WARP!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
Something to ponder.

Captain Kirk had an older brother, George Sam Kirk. In the new movie, Kirk has no older brother. He’s the first born.

Simple: The altered timeline resulted in a scenario by which the Kirks named their firstborn James Tiberius Kirk instead of George Sam Kirk.

As such, I submit to you the film’s James T. Kirk is in fact GEORGE SAM KIRK. The true Jim Kirk will NEVER BE BORN.

In the original Trek series, we only ever saw George after his death on a colony. The corpse of George Samuel Kirk was portrayed by William Shatner with a mustache. They were almost identical.

James T. Kirk is dead.
The movie is officially silent on G. S. Kirk's existence or lack there of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold-Rush View Post

While true, George's name was dubbed out and replaced with "Jonny."

George Kirk may still exist, and it is clearly the intent of the writers, Executive producers (who are also the writers) and director that George does exist. Thus, James (alt) is not George (alt) and was not accidentally mixed up or anything like that.

Edit: corrected Jimmy.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Damn, I thought Shatner died...

No opinion on the actual topic.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Well, what do the writers (Orci/Kurtzman) say? Is the boy Kirk passes his brother or not? And it's possible he is, and they just named him Johnny in oversight. Mistakes happen.

From STO:TOS "The Man Trap"
Lt. Uhura: Why don't you tell me I'm an attractive young lady, or ask me if I've ever been in love? Tell me how your planet Vulcan looks on a lazy evening when the moon is full.

Spock: Vulcan has no moon, Miss Uhura.

Lt. Uhura: I'm not surprised, Mr. Spock.

Hmmm....so if Vulcan has no moons...where da hell were Kirk & Spock when Vulcan imploded?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackShadow View Post
Peter Kirk and his descendants, anyone?
Does anyone honestly believe James T Kirk doesn't have a trail of illegitimate kids across both the alpha and beta quadrants that have since spawned into an army of thousands of great grandchildren? Kirk's seed is the Borg: RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

We should make an in-game Fleet called where everyone -- all various races -- are named Kirk. It would be totally canonical.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Indeed. George was mostly cut out of JJ's film, but you can still see him in the deleted scenes.

Memoery Alpha reference