Lt. Commander
# 11
02-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by socom242 View Post
Well, what do the writers (Orci/Kurtzman) say? Is the boy Kirk passes his brother or not? And it's possible he is, and they just named him Johnny in oversight. Mistakes happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverisms View Post
The movie is officially silent on G. S. Kirk's existence or lack there of

While true, George's name was dubbed out and replaced with "Jonny."

George Kirk may still exist, and it is clearly the intent of the writers, Executive producers (who are also the writers) and director that George does exist. Thus, James (alt) is not George (alt) and was not accidentally mixed up or anything like that.

Edit: corrected Jimmy.

Fa-la-la,lah-lah,lah. Tra-lah,lah, la-la-la-laaaaa!

4 banana ....Damn, I forget the owrds to the Banana-splits song...
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by socom242 View Post
Well, what do the writers (Orci/Kurtzman) say? Is the boy Kirk passes his brother or not? And it's possible he is, and they just named him Johnny in oversight. Mistakes happen.

From STO:TOS "The Man Trap"
Lt. Uhura: Why don't you tell me I'm an attractive young lady, or ask me if I've ever been in love? Tell me how your planet Vulcan looks on a lazy evening when the moon is full.

Spock: Vulcan has no moon, Miss Uhura.

Lt. Uhura: I'm not surprised, Mr. Spock.

Hmmm....so if Vulcan has no moons...where da hell were Kirk & Spock when Vulcan imploded?
They mentioned the name of the plaent, I forget, but the name seemed to indicate it wasnt even in the Vulcan system, which is why Spock being able to see Vulcan die is a problem, i mean, unless he got some crazy kinda implants in his eyes that see better than the freakin hubble.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
Does anyone honestly believe James T Kirk doesn't have a trail of illegitimate kids across both the alpha and beta quadrants that have since spawned into an army of thousands of great grandchildren? Kirk's seed is the Borg: RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

We should make an in-game Fleet called where everyone -- all various races -- are named Kirk. It would be totally canonical.
Too many times in the transporter, maybe? That might take out the risk of kids...plus, he was doing a lot of "cross-species pollination" as it were...maybe they didn't take?

Lt. Commander
# 14
02-05-2010, 10:15 AM
The reality in fact is that there are multiple James T. Kirks alive in their own universes, but also countless universes where he doesn't exist.
The "Grandfather Paradox" by some, is seen as a way in which one can never go back and change history. That is, you couldn't go back in history with a gun and kill your grandfather, because that would violate the timeline. Something would happen that would prevent you from shooting your grandfather. Some theorists say that you could.
One way around it, which is gaining more popularlty especially with quantum theorists is that you could go back and shoot your grandfather, but at that moment the universe would diverge. In one universe you wouldn't exist because you killed your grandfather, but in the "original" universe you'd still be alive.
In fact, there are countless millions of alternative universes some say. Each time there is a quantum event there is another divergence of universes.
For example, in one universe William would have lost the Battle of Hastings; or in another John Lennon would not have been shot etc.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endonian View Post
The reality in fact is that there are multiple James T. Kirks alive in their own universes, but also countless universes where he doesn't exist.
The "Grandfather Paradox" by some, is seen as a way in which one can never go back and change history. That is, you couldn't go back in history with a gun and kill your grandfather, because that would violate the timeline. Something would happen that would prevent you from shooting your grandfather. Some theorists say that you could.
One way around it, which is gaining more popularlty especially with quantum theorists is that you could go back and shoot your grandfather, but at that moment the universe would diverge. In one universe you wouldn't exist because you killed your grandfather, but in the "original" universe you'd still be alive.
In fact, there are countless millions of alternative universes some say. Each time there is a quantum event there is another divergence of universes.
For example, in one universe William would have lost the Battle of Hastings; or in another John Lennon would not have been shot etc.
So... what your saying is... Kirk traveled back in time and shot John Lennon?
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrceval View Post
So... what your saying is... Kirk traveled back in time and shot John Lennon?
Or was he the second gunman on the grassy knoll?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kak_Vander View Post
Or was he the second gunman on the grassy knoll?
Or was the second spitter?
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I was under the impression that the "canyon" in Iowa is actually more of a quarry. Maybe a silica mine or something.

As for building the ship on the ground and getting it into space... they can use a tractor beam, of course.

The beauty of science fiction is that you can never write yourself into a corner. There's always a made-up reason waiting to bail you out of any situation.