Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship Weapons
02-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Been having a hard time understanding how the damage works.....i have 2 commander weapons that will say 160 tetyron damage 213 dps and 299 plasma damage 199 dps....then i have 2 torps that say 2,061 kinetic damage 317 dps and 2,156 kinetic damage 254 dps.what should i be looking at,damage or the dps ??? i know skills matter etc but lets say everything is even across the board...lets just factor the weapons

thanks for all the info
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Higher DPS is always better. DPS takes into account weapon speed. Your weapon could hit hard but have a lower overall dps because it is slow. DPS= damage per second and is calculated by taking the damage and multiplying it by how many times it fires in one second... in case you didn't know.

BTW a lot of weapons fire multiple times when you press the spacebar once (or whatever else you use to fire your weapons).
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 01:23 PM
thanks for the info jacksoncain
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonCain
Higher DPS is always better. DPS takes into account weapon speed. Your weapon could hit hard but have a lower overall dps because it is slow. DPS= damage per second and is calculated by taking the damage and multiplying it by how many times it fires in one second... in case you didn't know.

BTW a lot of weapons fire multiple times when you press the spacebar once (or whatever else you use to fire your weapons).
this isn't always true.

dps is important for energy weapons, but keep in mind energy weapons with smaller arcs have higher dps, and energy weapons with larger arc have lower dps.

and for torps dps is less important than damage per shot , since you won't be spamming torps, but rather timing their use against ships when their shield facing you is down.