Lt. Commander
# 21
02-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Maybe they chose not to because they don't think that, for the majority, it's too much effort to expect from a player?

I'll get flamed, but here goes.

If you're handicapped in some way, and simply don't have the physical ability to do so, that's one thing, but remember, if you have everything on autofire so does everybody else. Then the crying about how hard fighting, and how short the battles are will ensue, and damage will get nerfed. And then the crying about how long a battle takes now because damage got nerfed will start up ... not that I've seen this same thing happen in any game before.

Fighting NPC's is childishly easy as it is. I mean, if you can run out and aggro 3 separate full groups of enemies, and kill them all without dying once (or even coming close), it's too easy. Throw everything on autofire? Then what, just fly around clockwise, taking turns between reinforcing the rear shields and the starboard ... sorry right shields? If they were to implement full autofire, they would have to either cut XP down to 15% of what it is now or triple the hull points on the bots. And did I mention that all of the PvP encounters would be affected similarly? Every person you run up against would be a fool to put anything but disruptor cannons across the board, and just have to worry about positioning. Scratch that, turrets all the way; they can spin like a mother, and you don't even need to keep in a particular direction. That would be a gamebreaker.

Be careful what you wish for.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raximillian
button mashing is not skill. Button mashing is not tactical. Button mashing is just bothersome.

The button mashing in STO for beam weapons is pointlesly stupid. I understand the tactical decisions in torps, and mines, and BO powers, but not for energy weapons. I have energy, I want them to fire ALL THE TIME. I don't want to keep pressing space, or 1, or whatever key I have bound to the fire all beams simply because Cryptic does not want to enable autofire for more weapons.
Button mashing isn't a skill, I agree with you completely. But it does make doing everything else just a bit more complicated, and I think (opinion only) that might have something to do with it. I have a feeling I should order another 3 Razer mice real soon.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalybos View Post
Maybe they chose not to because they don't think that, for the majority, it's too much effort to expect from a player?

I'll get flamed, but here goes.

If you're handicapped in some way, and simply don't have the physical ability to do so, that's one thing, but remember, if you have everything on autofire so does everybody else. Then the crying about how hard fighting, and how short the battles are will ensue, and damage will get nerfed. And then the crying about how long a battle takes now because damage got nerfed will start up ... not that I've seen this same thing happen in any game before.

Fighting NPC's is childishly easy as it is. I mean, if you can run out and aggro 3 separate full groups of enemies, and kill them all without dying once (or even coming close), it's too easy. Throw everything on autofire? Then what, just fly around clockwise, taking turns between reinforcing the rear shields and the starboard ... sorry right shields? If they were to implement full autofire, they would have to either cut XP down to 15% of what it is now or triple the hull points on the bots. And did I mention that all of the PvP encounters would be affected similarly? Every person you run up against would be a fool to put anything but disruptor cannons across the board, and just have to worry about positioning. Scratch that, turrets all the way; they can spin like a mother, and you don't even need to keep in a particular direction. That would be a gamebreaker.

Be careful what you wish for.
That's not true. I can already fire all my weapons as often as I want just tapping the fire all beam weapons constantly. I'm not asking the devs add something that is impossible for the game. All I'm asking is that they add something so I don't have to tap the fire all beams key all the time (which I can do, it's just really pointless and detracts from the game).

I did try a 4 turret science vessel, and it was pretty good. I kept it firing constantly by tapping the space bar. Is it overpowered? no way. It's nice that I can fire in all directions, but the DPS was pretty low.

I do not have to be careful what I wish for in this case because it is very, very, clear. I wish for the game to not be a click fest and be a tactical game like it is supposed to be.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Button mashing isn't a skill, I agree with you completely. But it does make doing everything else just a bit more complicated, and I think (opinion only) that might have something to do with it. I have a feeling I should order another 3 Razer mice real soon.
Adding a mindless button mashing does not make other things more complicated, it makes the game more bothersome. I do not get extra DPS the faster I tap the space bar (if I did, then maybe tapping would be good), the only thing I get is a sore hand after a while and less time to focus on all the other fun stuff the game has to offer.

Mindless tapping does not add to the game, it detracts from it. If the tapping had any decision making behind it, then sure, but it does not. It just serves to aggravate.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on whether it detracts and/or the impact. No harm in differing opinions. Thanks for the flamefree response, by the way.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on whether it detracts and/or the impact. No harm in differing opinions. Thanks for the flamefree response, by the way.
Sure thing, and all opinions are valid. That's why any change should be optional as well. Not everyone likes every feature, and it does not fit everyone.

Unfortunately, the opinion that matters the most in this case is not yours, nor mine. It is Cryptics. And they have not decided to share their opinion on this issue yet. That is quite alarming