Lt. Commander
# 1 "Lower Decks" Inspiraton
02-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Just started watching the episode, I was wondering, wouldn't it make more sense to recruit from one's own ship. A player can go about making pre-bridge-officers namely from races the player would have the ability to make as captains. This when we get access to the rest of our ship could get well with the overall immersion factor. "Hey that was Ensign Toph over there..."

This would work better than say bringing people in from the outside from a canon perspective. Combine this with say staged uniforms for different departments and or levels it could really flesh out the game. Also from this perspective how the entire ship is outfitted to resist things like boarding parties. Perhaps create a new species which may reside on your ship.

This method could be the starting point for a player to make their own character species more wide spread.

And more along this, perhaps make ships more universal in how they work in terms with their bridge officers or give us a way to upgrade ships to have more console/officer slots.

Also determine the crew complement percentages as well.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I guess there's nothing to say that the officer candidates aren't from your ship?
might explain how can you recieve candidates without going to space-dock...

Being able to set up departments such as science or medical departments might be kinda cool though- more ship-based micromanagement. Perhaps with the chance to visit areas if they ever release more ship interiors?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Departments would be fun.

Also would be a good in game reason to perhaps assign the ship some skills. Nothing BO level but something like basic ship scanning functions to help root out very close cloaked enemies... or masked enemies.

Also decorations would be fun, I always seem to think my bridge could use some hanging flags Plus perhaps an interal command structure like I suggested an XO.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkarma View Post
Departments would be fun.

Also would be a good in game reason to perhaps assign the ship some skills. Nothing BO level but something like basic ship scanning functions to help root out very close cloaked enemies... or masked enemies.

Also decorations would be fun, I always seem to think my bridge could use some hanging flags Plus perhaps an interal command structure like I suggested an XO.
Personally I think a captain's quarters would be nice- could get memorabilia from each major mission, I remember that picard's room was like that in TNG.

As for ship skills, I think that's covered with consoles- and it would be annoying losing the upgrades when you get a new ship.

As for flags... each to their own:p
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 12:43 PM
I suppose if I was into RP it'd be fun to use the character creator to make my own redshirts.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 12:48 PM
I just started watching ST:TNG again, and it struck me that the officers that join the Enterprise all come from elsewhere. They transferred or got transferred to the ship.

I assume that since ships can be more or less important and prestigious, an officer can in time become eligible for a better assignment. And before all that, all officers must go through the academy.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athelus View Post
Personally I think a captain's quarters would be nice- could get memorabilia from each major mission, I remember that picard's room was like that in TNG.

As for ship skills, I think that's covered with consoles- and it would be annoying losing the upgrades when you get a new ship.

As for flags... each to their own:p
How about stuffing all the targs I've killed and tribble nursery?

Also remember the one prototype ship and all starfleet ships, every square inch of the ship is essentially one big holodeck? That tech could easily be used to to have fun redocration as well as impeding annoying invasion forces.

And why would a captain leave his or her crew behind? Bring em along! And same upgrades should be easy to apply to new ships.