Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrailsgalore View Post
Unfortunately STO is going to go through TONS of GIGANTIC patches until Cryptic sets up a patch and maintenance schedule for STO. That will take a minimum of 3 months to do. But in the mean time we will have random gigantor patches and what not here and there to fix essential things. Eventually the weekly patches will be tiny, and only once a month or so will we get big patches.

And what part of your butt are you pulling this time frame from?
3 Months? Not bloodly likely.
Most MMOs as of late get their maint schedule up pretty quick after the second week or so
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenzodiac View Post
And what part of your butt are you pulling this time frame from?
3 Months? Not bloodly likely.
Most MMOs as of late get their maint schedule up pretty quick after the second week or so
Yeah 3 months for STO, that is my prediction. A regular maintenance schedule isn't every week the server is randomly down for a patch. It is separating big patches from small ones, release 1 small patch a week or every two weeks, and 1 big patch once every 3 or 4 weeks, depending on what content they are adding or how many bug fixes they will need to apply. It took Funcom like 6 months, Cryptic seems to be ahead of them when they launched Age of Conan, so my guess is at least 3 months before a regular schedule.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorilius
Do you understand how MMORPGs work, at all?

Do you understand that this game just came out?

Do you expect a HUGE MMO of this size and scope to not put out a huge patch?

Which planet do you live on?

Thank you very much for that cold "un-star trek" welcome. I am from the planet called Earth. This is my FIRST mmorpg game that I have ever played or owned in my life so NO I didn't have any idea about how they are supposted to work! Yes I know the game just came out! I'm not as stuppid as you think I am. I'm so very glade I spent my money on upgrading my PC and buying the game just so I can run into people like you

PS: Just BITE me!!!
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadguy
Hello to all! I finaly got my copy of STO and after three trips back and forth to a local Best Buy getting my PC first upgraded then geting it fixed so the sound would work now I'm trying to play STO for the first time and... I've been waiting for at least an hour while the thing down-loads a patch! Very NOT COOL!! It was frustrating just getting my computer upgraded and then to get it fixed. A patch that's over 1000MB? Honestly what was cryptic thinking? Not everyone has Verizon Fios ya know. Oh well. I hope everyone else has had better luck with the game so far then I have.
Terry
Too bad this is your first MMO. Those of us who have been doing it a while have adjusted gracefully to this, but I can see how a new player might think this is unreasonable.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Thank you very much for that cold "un-star trek" welcome. I am from the planet called Earth. This is my FIRST mmorpg game that I have ever played or owned in my life so NO I didn't have any idea about how they are supposted to work! Yes I know the game just came out! I'm not as stuppid as you think I am. I'm so very glade I spent my money on upgrading my PC and buying the game just so I can run into people like you

PS: Just BITE me!!!
Calm down man, no need to take things said on the internet so seriously.

I was just pointing out that a patch is a good thing. And complaining about its size doesnt make any sense.

Welcome to STO though, I hope you enjoy your stay
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi peeps,

1st post! Go ME! I know the OP has probably downloaded his 10gig by now but while I was installing the game thought i'd browse the forums and this 10gig patch stuff scared me a lil.. now that it's installed and patching and from everything else i've seen the patch isn't 10gig.

The Game itself is 7.9gig in compressed form and about 10 gig uncompressed. Sooo if ur patch is 10gig it's actually downloading the game. (presumabley because it screwed up on the instal and is replacing files). A few people posting about this issue have noted that the game instal is only 2gig and as this is incorrect it would lead me to believe that there is a problem with ur installs.

Having literally just finished the instal seconds before writing this, my patcher states the file to download is 1014mb. Sooooo if ur patch is over 10 gig I suggest u stop, re-instal the game and try again. If u downloaded the game, mayb check the file size u downloaded but there is no point downloading it again because ur patcher is already doing it. If ur using steam ur an idiot (haha kidding.. well.. not really).

As i said writing this as it started patching, patch is 25% complete now. So if like me ur jus browsing while waiting. Dont be scared. There is no 10 gig instal.

However, I would like to point and laugh at all the "Pro's" who keep posting stuff like "OMG R u NEW TO MMO? 10GIG IS NORMAL".
A 10gig patch for a game out 4 days ish is NOT normal, has NEVER been normal, and if games companies actually want people to play thier games WILL never be normal.

Now thats done with I must decide to sleep and go to work sad i didn't play much or not sleep and be a zombie for 8 hours 2moz... hmm wot to do...

Ped.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Hello to all! I finaly got my copy of STO and after three trips back and forth to a local Best Buy getting my PC first upgraded then geting it fixed so the sound would work now I'm trying to play STO for the first time and... I've been waiting for at least an hour while the thing down-loads a patch! Very NOT COOL!! It was frustrating just getting my computer upgraded and then to get it fixed. A patch that's over 1000MB? Honestly what was cryptic thinking? Not everyone has Verizon Fios ya know. Oh well. I hope everyone else has had better luck with the game so far then I have.
Terry
Welcome to STO. Retail version of the game has been released to production > 2 weeks ago, and since then we've seen many "good" patches, solving many issues, reported by community. While it's gonna be hard for some to download those, it is unfortunately the only good way of updating MMOs. The good thing is, that after that 1GB patch, you will only deal with small, 10x smaller fixes, released every 1-3 days, until the next big upgrade comes around. Hope you will enjoy the gameplay... Engage!
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-05-2010, 04:19 PM
any comfused by my post should take note that i had two browsers open on different posts relating to download size and have posted in the wrong one

where be that pesky delete post button..