Lt. Commander
Created first toon. 8 game crashes and reverification of files within the first hour. Went to forums. Read various suggestions about cranking the graphics down (?!) I have a Dell XPS720 quadcore qx 8800 motherboard. Four gigs Dominator RAM. ATI Radeon 4890HD 1 gig vid card. This is water and air cooled system. I have no overheating issues. First toon loading to ship for first time as soon as I see stars game crashes. Create second toon. Actually loads to ship but then crashes when trying to do first away team to Vega. Go back to first toon, ship actually loads this time (?!) then same, crashes at Vega. Now neither toon will load at all. Have not heard a peep from Cryptic and its going on 24 hours. There are pages and pages of this kind of complaint on the internet at the moment. Seriously you think this game was ready for launch? So much for people who spent a ton of money on getting head start and cant even log in. All Im asking for is some clarification from Cryptic about what the problems are and when they expect a fix. Is all of this simply a matter of server at load? Then why not have a message saying "server is full, unable to login". Instead of letting people rack their brains trying to figure out whats wrong on their end!
Lt. Commander
# 2 Fatal error, no response
02-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Yes, there are many of us in this position. I actually had to send my computer in after STO overheated my laptop several times, and since my manufacturer told me nothing is wrong with my laptop... well, that means something is wrong with STO.

I guess I'm looking for a refund, and potentially damages related to my computer. Ha. Like that would ever happen, right?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Hey Cryptic Studios why won't you take a lesson from wicked gaming studios that produced games such as Gears of War and Modern Warefare for the Xbox360.

They have a patch out the second you arrive home to play your first game. It always works from launch.

The PR guys always listen to and respond to issues in the forum. They even take into account what people want changed and update with patches.

It's pretty lame to leave all these new customers out in the cold on launch week without a peep from anyone at Cryptic.

What kind of zoo operation are you running there? You can expect a whole load of angry messages tomorrow and returned games.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decypher View Post
Hey Cryptic Studios why won't you take a lesson from wicked gaming studios that produced games such as Gears of War and Modern Warefare for the Xbox360.

They have a patch out the second you arrive home to play your first game. It always works from launch.

The PR guys always listen to and respond to issues in the forum. They even take into account what people want changed and update with patches.

It's pretty lame to leave all these new customers out in the cold on launch week without a peep from anyone at Cryptic.

What kind of zoo operation are you running there? You can expect a whole load of angry messages tomorrow and returned games.
I am with you on this one. Let us give them hell. Or something equally unpleasant.
Lt. Commander
# 5 no relief after patch
02-04-2010, 11:13 AM
I looked forward to todays patch hoping I might be able to log one of my 2 toons in and finally appear on Vega. To no avail. What i did get is this :

Fatal Error: File read from disk has bad CRC. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.

Tech Details:./piggs/bins.hogg: Bin/Geobin/OI/E/1/S/Sto_Socatra_01.Mset: File read from disk has bad CRC. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.

The launcher verification does not fix the error. Im getting it repeatedly. My driver is up to date. I have turned off dynamic lighting, AA and enabled Vsync. I reloaded the pigg file and repatched it. Still no luck and whats worse STILL NO ANSWER TO MY FIRST TICKET SENT TO CRYPTIC SUPPORT TWO DAYS LATER. Im going back to city of heroes and telling everyone in my two supergroups dont waste your time here.
Lt. Commander
So far all i have is an automated reply from tech support. Its been 4 days since my first ticket (which by the way they sent me a "billing" response when my ticket was a "tech issue" not a "billing issue". I included the fatal error msg and its file name indicating place of error. Unfortunately all we know is its somewhere from the pigg file which I already deleted reloaded and repatched. Same problem occurs. NAMELY: CANT GET CHARACTER TO BEAM DOWN TO VEGA. SELECT CAPTAIN, CLICK PLAY tada! FATAL ERROR. From the look of todays posts lots of people with same problem. WTF cryptic isnt this a pretty obvious fix? Its obvious to me tons of people are really getting ****ed off.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Solved
02-05-2010, 03:30 PM
No thanks to Cryptic but i managed to claw my way back into the game. First my graphics driver for my xfx radeon 4890 HD had to be scrapped for the new one at ATI dated 1/27/2010 for vista 32 bit. I had tried this before but had forgot to make sure that my uninstall of legacy driver had removed the ATI install manager. For some reason you have to do this twice for it to take. Once done with a valid new driver installed i uninstalled STO. Reloaded from retail DVD and patched. I was then FINALLY able to beam down to Vega and move on. Unfortunately the server crashed shortly there after lol... go figure!. I hope this helps some others who had a similar problem at Vega.