I saw a lot of posts on this, so here it is in case you need it.
1. You must have already entered the retail key. Pre-order keys will not activate this.
2. Login to the game.
3. Create a character
4. Get through the tutorial to the point you have your ship.
5. Get to the Sol system and dock at the Star Base there.
6. Click the down-arror to the right of the mini map.
7. Select "Visit the C-Store"
8. Select the next tab "Special Unlocks"
9. Select "USS Enterprize" and click "Claim".
10. The ship is now in your inventory. Select "U" or "I" to bring up your inventory.
11. Right-click the ship icon and select "Equip".
12. Now go to the Shipyard.
13. Speak to "Ensign Obin" by clicking "Select Your Ship".
14. Select your ship on the left of this panel.
Add corrections if I missed something!
15. In the bottom right corner, select "Set as Current".
16. When you now "Beam to ship" you will be in your new (old) TOS Enterprise
To Rename Your Ship:
1. Select "U" or "I".
2. Select your ship.
3. Make sure you are on the "Status" tab on the top.
4. At the bottom of this panel there will be a button that says "Rename".
5. Click "Rename".
6. In this dialog box you can select a new name for your ship. No you cannot use "Enterprise".
7. Select a new registry number if you want, ranging from 91002 - 999999. No you cannot use "1701".
(You only get one shot at this so make sure you make it what you want.)
Can i switch to the Enterprise from my head start ship? I am in the orion sector and along way from Starfleet.
Yep, you sure can. The Enterprise ship is a T1 ship so if you want to get some use out of it, now is the time.
As for renaming your ship, there is a filter that will not allow some naming conventions. "Enterprise" is definitely one of them. Just try tweaking the name a bit and you'll get one eventually. The problem is that it doesn't tell you when a name is rejected. It just won't change the name and you have to try something else.