Lt. Commander
# 41
02-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I didn't see this in the responses but I only skimmed them so forgive me if I repeat someone else's advice.

When you enter an Episode (what STO calls it's instanced quests), you are AUTOMATICALLY joined with other players that wish to complete the same mission as you.

In WoW parlance, Star Trek Online forces you to PUG all quests from the beginning of the game. This can cause a particular episode to become extremely difficult if the players that enter the instance together do not work together.

Having a strong aversion to PUGing, I had to search on the forums for the means to get out of that garbage and found that you can disable automatic team matching in your SOCIAL settings (located near your mini map interface).

I discovered this in Open Beta and it may have changed some in the live release, but I know that PUGing is still the DEFAULT for STO.

As soon as I got my characters set up, I disabled the PUG settings and have enjoyed running quests by myself.

You will still need to destroy a bazillion starships during the course of leveling up, I can't help you there. But setting the game up to have you alone in Episode Instances (not Fleet missions which are meant to be Group instances) makes the game a fun experience -- if lonewolfing is your bag.

Hope that helps!
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangover_Boy
Catlady, there is definitely something wrong...you shouldn't be dying in ANY space engagement during normal missions (i've died plenty in fleet encounters).

Send me an invite and I'll join you on a mission to see what you're doing wrong...use the E and Q keys to change your speed, btw. Tractor beams can keep you from moving, but beginning game enemies don't have them, so you're doing something wrong

banat@hangover_boy

Your post is full of win , I bow down before your greatness. It sad a player in need of help gets all these non-help posts. If I wasn't at work, I would've offered the same assistance.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Many times there are people on line who are willing to group with you to help.

Try asking in sector space if anyone wants to join you on the mission.