Lt. Commander
Hey guys, just a quick question.

When flying with a group of other ships, in battle how do I apply the heal buffs to myself instead of my teammates??

Last night was flying with a group, was dishing out the hurt pretty good but then started getting hit pretty hard, I tried to apply Science Team to myself, and also Engineering Team to myself.

But both times, the buff went to one of my teammates. I didn't have them targeted either, actually had the enemy target at the time.

I don't mind buffing my team if they need it, but sometimes I need it the most.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong??
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 12:11 AM
You had pass through targeting enabled. Therefore the enemy that you were targeting was ineligible for your buff so it was passed through to the person they were targeting. Either turn it off or learn to hit F! to target yourself really quick before you use it.

Its in the options section under I think controls.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 12:13 AM
It is amazing how the Federation naval engineers, the ellite, could overlook that detail...

Now, don't be so egoist, a Science Admiral does not make questions.

j/k
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylverlokk View Post
You had pass through targeting enabled. Therefore the enemy that you were targeting was ineligible for your buff so it was passed through to the person they were targeting. Either turn it off or learn to hit F! to target yourself really quick before you use it.

Its in the options section under I think controls.
Wow, you can hit "F" to target yourself in combat?? I did not know that, thank you.

And that "Pass through" targeting, is that the "smart target" or whatever its called in controls??

Will give it a try, much thanks for the help.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehaektas
It is amazing how the Federation naval engineers, the ellite, could overlook that detail...

Now, don't be so egoist, a Science Admiral does not make questions.

j/k
Ummm, welll........It's late and I must be tired, 'cause that went right over my head.

(And usually my smart ass/sarcasm translator works so well)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 03:04 AM
No, you hit F1 to target yourself. You do that to heal yourself.

Why the dude miss-typed it as F! is beyond me, but he held the shift button down when trying to type the number and got the exclamation point instead.

Either way, target yourself with the F1 key (or any squad mates using the F2 through F5 keys if you are in a team), and THEN you use your healing powers.

Otherwise you heal you target's target, which if you are soloing will probably be you. If you are in a group, that enemy ship might be hitting somebody other than yourself, and you heals will be re-directed to that friend.

But again, it cannot go wrong if you have yourself targeted.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKeeperJim View Post
Ummm, welll........It's late and I must be tired, 'cause that went right over my head.

(And usually my smart ass/sarcasm translator works so well)
Sorry, my fault, since you can actually heal yourself the joke is a fail. Meh, didn't get to read the post above... :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the tip, was wondering why I was healing other people - even when I was the primary - whenever I was in a group
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 05:50 AM
Personally I deactivated that option as soon as I noticed. It is good for assisting in damage, but even a mildly able "healer" should target things manually because you can manage way better that way. Misfires are much to common in this way.
It's only (mildly) useful if you're not in team with the ally who's getting hit, otherwise most of the time you're either wasting time targeting yourself instead of keeping the pressure on a target.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
No, you hit F1 to target yourself. You do that to heal yourself.

Why the dude miss-typed it as F! is beyond me, but he held the shift button down when trying to type the number and got the exclamation point instead.

Either way, target yourself with the F1 key (or any squad mates using the F2 through F5 keys if you are in a team), and THEN you use your healing powers.

Otherwise you heal you target's target, which if you are soloing will probably be you. If you are in a group, that enemy ship might be hitting somebody other than yourself, and you heals will be re-directed to that friend.

But again, it cannot go wrong if you have yourself targeted.
Ah, ok got it. Thanks for the tips everyone.