Lt. Commander
# 1 Resistances calculation
02-06-2010, 05:54 AM
Hi,

I stumbled upon an interesting aspect of the game: The calculation of (ship's) resistances.

I was about to put some new engineering consoles in my BoP when I realised, that the effective resistance gain shown in the ship's stats does not match with the values in the consoles' description.

I got the following two consoles atm:

Quote:
Engineering Console - Victorium Alloy MK VI

+10% kinetic damage resistance
+10% energy damage resistance
Quote:
Engineering Console - Victorium Alloy MK V

+7.5% kinetic damage resistance
+7.5% energy damage resistance
That's what I get in the ships' stat description however:

No engineering consoles equiped: 0% resistances (energy and kinetic)

Only the MK VI console equiped: 9.1% resistances (energy and kinetic)

Only the MK V console equiped: 7% resistances (energy and kinetic)

Both consoles equiped: 14.9% resistances (energy and kinetic)

So it's not only that I don't get the full amount from a single console, I even don't get the total combined value of both - already reduced - consoles' values, as 9.1 + 7 equals 16.1, not 14.9.

Anyone got any idea? Can someone confirm that this is happening to him, too?

And another mathematical abnormality drew my attention: While the MK VI console's value got reduced by 9%, the MK V console's value got reduced by "only" roughly 7%. Both are "commander" consoles. The MK V console is of common rarity , the MK VI console is of uncommon rarity, which actually means that the console of higher rarity (thus quality) got the bigger penalty which seems somewhat unlogical to me.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2010, 06:15 AM
Just woke up and too tired to do the math and numbers atm, but it sounds like diminishing returns. It's to prevent people from stacking consoles, traits, etc... and getting 100% resistance. The more of a value you have, the less each point (or percent or whatever unit) becomes worth. The fact that the higher valued console took a bigger hit, and both of them together still took a further reduction in value points to diminishing returns. When I get breakfast and coffee and my brain is on, I'll work it out. Unless someone already has. I'm sure someone has already pointed this out somewhere.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Hi,

I found another thread about this topic: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...ht=resistances

You seem to be right with your guess about diminishing returns. It would be nice to know the formular behind it though. Atm the penalty on the effective resistance score seems to roughly double every 10%-step: It's 9% penalty at 10% unmodified resistance and 17% penalty at 20% unmodified resistance. That assumption bases on the comparison of only two values though:

If you put one "+10% resistances" console into you ship, the effective resistance score raises to 9.1%, which means a 9% penalty to the unmodified score.

If you put two "+10% resistances" consoles into your ship, the effective resistance score raises to 16.6%, which means a 17% penalty to the unmodified score.

So my guess is, that an unmodified resistance score of 30% should effectively become something around 19.1% (34% penalty).
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-06-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm able to toss in some more values:

I checked how the kinetic damage resistance of my BoP changes, when I activate "Brace for impact" (+44% kinetic damage resistance.

The total amount of unmodified kinetic damage resistance is 61.5% (44 from "Brace for impact, +10 and +7.5 from two consoles). The effective resistance score is 37.3%, which means the penalty equals 39.3%.

This disproves my earlier asumption that the penalty doubles every 10%-step.