Lt. Commander
# 11
02-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldfusion View Post
Buy a condom with a hole in it?
a car missing a bumper?
Knowingly selling such items to customers would be gross negligence.

Quote:
A loaf of bread missing two slices?
Incosequesntial, and getting a refund or exchange would be pretty easy.

STO on the otherhand is just a game. I am pretty sure that in the Term & Conditions it is clearly stated that downtime, errors, bugs, etc are ilkely to happen, and that by purchasing the game you acknowleddge those facts.

I doubt anything has happened to anyone yet that would even warrant anykind of legal action.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8nemo View Post
Have you ever played an MMO before? Or played any sort of computer game? Bugs happen, down time happens, maintenance needs to happen. It is the nature of designing programs with more than 100 lines of code. I’m not really a big MMO fan, but even I know that the biggest and best (Like WoW) fall prey to bugs, exploits, and ‘unexpected’ server down time. Do a google search for WoW and server and you’ll find more comics and jokes about waiting for the servers to come back up than you can shake a phaser at.

So relax, Cryptic likes this product as much as (almost) any fanboy. They’ll get it fixed, no litigation needed.

And when the servers are running just make with the PewPew and not the QQ.
I played WoW since day one. We couldent play much the first month and a half but most of us also got 30 day EXTRA credits on our accounts. At least the ones who phones up Blizzard.

7 Digit steam account.. Yeah ive been a PC Gamer possibly since you were gleam in your dad's eye.

I DONT MIND DOWNTIMES!! Load issues the first month of an MMO is normal.

But the lack of polish, broken missions that have been broken since we beta tested... The mishandling of retail sales for preorders.

This game COULD BE AWESOME!! And its why i am so vocal about this. Just needed 6 more months in the garage before willingly taking our money
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Is it possible to start a class action law suit?

Maybe if just once gamers stood up for themselves as a whole we could make an example out of one company and scare the rest into only releasing completed products like console games.
Hey jackass, have you ever heard of "terms of service?" Or an "end user license agreement?"

It's something you agree to before you play or even install any game, especially MMOs. In fact, most MMOs make you re-agree every time they patch.

It means you can't sue them because you decided to QQ over inconsequential ********.

Now go cry somewhere else, Ten Forward doesn't want to hear it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
I played WoW since day one. We couldent play much the first month and a half but most of us also got 30 day EXTRA credits on our accounts. At least the ones who phones up Blizzard.

7 Digit steam account.. Yeah ive been a PC Gamer possibly since you were gleam in your dad's eye.

I DONT MIND DOWNTIMES!! Load issues the first month of an MMO is normal.

But the lack of polish, broken missions that have been broken since we beta tested... The mishandling of retail sales for preorders.

This game COULD BE AWESOME!! And its why i am so vocal about this. Just needed 6 more months in the garage before willingly taking our money
Unfortunately, you're not the one providing backing for the game, Atari are. Blame them, they screwed it up >.<
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Hey jackass, have you ever heard of "terms of service?" Or an "end user license agreement?"

Its a good thing Cryptics only SLA (Service Level Agreement) is the ones they get being a customer to AT&T

Ever heard of one of thos?

EULAs are not legally binding btw.

Here is an example of what Blizz did for us just because of downtimes. Very few mainstream quests were broken and that game had TONS more content for less money. 5 YEARS AGO!!!!!

1/25/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
1/24/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
1/23/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
1/22/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
1/20/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
1/19/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
1/17/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
1/16/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
1/9/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
1/7/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
1/5/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
1/4/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
1/2/05 N/A One Day Credit
Expired
12/25/04 N/A Five Day Credit
Expired
11/23/04 N/A Free Month
Expired
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Its a good thing Cryptics only SLA (Service Level Agreement) is the ones they get being a customer to AT&T

keep thinking that. If it wasnt legally binding, wow, soe, mythic would have been sued a long time ago. Ever thought why they havent been?

As for you beign a pc gamer since others were just a glimmer in their "daddys eye", that implies youa re an adult, and IF it is true, which seriously doubt, you are one hell of a very immature individual, and you seriously need a full reality check.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:

Maybe if just once gamers stood up for themselves as a whole we could make an example out of one company and scare the rest into only releasing completed products like console games.
Sorry, console games aren't always 100% completed either, most games that come out still have bugs that weren't found during the testing stage, and even more have content released later. That's how it is.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Quote:
So if you played WoW from day one like me, you will remember the broken quests, the glitches, the fact you used to board a boat in Menethil, go afk for a couple of mins whilst it was sailing and come back to find you have fallen off the ship incurring a durability loss.

Hell I still play wow 5yrs later and there are still numerous bugs. Yes STO is buggy, but it sure as hell isn't as buggy as WoW was when it was first released.

Just my 2 cents, and no I am not a fan boy. I am merely stating a fact.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:

Now you're just making me laugh. Ever heard of "burden of proof?"

There's not a single precedent that establishes that an EULA is NOT legally binding. The argument could be made that when you purchased your copy of Star Trek Online, and signed the EULA, you entered into a mutually binding contract that protects Cryptic Studios (as well as Atari) from any legal repercussions regarding development and release of the game as perceived by the end user. Essentially, you can't sue them for not delivering on YOUR expectations. As long as they're within THEIR terms of service, they're safe from a legal standpoint. Find a clause in their EULA or ToS that states that they have to have a "complete" game by the standards of the end user. You won't.

On top of that, there ARE precedents set that state that a shelved software product need not be complete in its original retail form. Look at Windows. Every single time a new version of Windows hits stores, it's incomplete. All the way up until the third or fourth service pack. You see them getting sued? A lot more people use Windows than play STO.

Your best bet is not from a legal, but from a financial standpoint. Boycott the game. That'll have more success than a frivolous lawsuit.

Edit: That is to say, "It won't have any success at all, but you'll look like slightly less of an idiot."
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Quote:

Silly boy.

(Incidentally you do know suits are brought against makers of console games by people as well don't you? Those people are almost as stupid and obnoxious as you)
Closed Thread