Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
02-05-2010, 05:11 AM
Klingons cloak. They do. It is a well known fact. Romulans cloak as well.

The federation knows the technology, but they can't install it without romulan help as far as we know, which seems to be hard to find right now.

And it is one of the basis of Star Trek universe. Klingons cloak, Feds do not. You are playing Star Trek, so you have to adapt your stategy to the situation.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-05-2010, 05:26 AM
just be glad we cant use Goren ships, with there massive hull's....lol

but then the posts would be nerf hull tanks!,,,,,.....

and battle cloak rearely ever saves a BoP it made of ducetape and crate paper LOL
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-05-2010, 05:43 AM
I wouldnt mind it if federation ships could do a deflector pulse to give a general direction of the closest cloaked ship (without revelaing it) so that science ships or science captains could close to that position and use the proper detection abilities...
Lt. Commander
# 34 This is the solution
02-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTyrel View Post
I wouldnt mind it if federation ships could do a deflector pulse to give a general direction of the closest cloaked ship (without revealing it) so that science ships or science captains could close to that position and use the proper detection abilities...
Placing a "scan for the direction of the nearest friendly/enemy tachyon signature" (regardless if they are cloaked or not) sensor ability is the answer. Include a cooldown on it to prevent spamming to reveal the location of a close cloaked ship. This should be available for all ships and would also help PvP for grouping your own team in a random group. I don't know where friendly ship are in-system until I get within 50k?!?! Am I just looking out the window with binoculars or something? Even in the Fed PvE missions the science officers chimes in with "I am detecting tachyon emissions from somewhere within that asteroid field. There may be cloaked Bird of Preys there somewhere." Something like this would not change the combat use of cloak.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-05-2010, 06:36 AM
I like the idea of knowing roughly where they are but not exactly where they are... Maybe highlighting a 50k sphere at 30-40k? Your not removing the cloak, You may know roughly where they are coming from but not exactly where they are.

As long as its a science Boff ability on say a 5min - 4min (rank 9) cooldown? You'd only be able to get one ping a minute (okay every 50sec) in that scenario with 5 players all having it.

Currently i think the fed-ball is too lazy to move in 5 v 5 because theres no real point to moving it anywhere other than the map centre and waiting.
Finding the Klingons is too much effort. Basically its high risk/high reward trying to find the Klingons, you have to be lucky and they have to be not paying attention, but if you find them one goes down instantly. Its high risk because you can be strung out and picked off. Its very easy for klingons to avoid a detection pattern (stay outside 15k) and it takes a long time to chug round the map with engines at 50.
Moving the fedball to the centre of the map is the high percentage success option. Easier to co-ordinate and more likely to force a confrontation. One side will not engage unless it has an advantage, and only Klingons have the ability to determine when a confrontation occurs.

Simple solution is for fed players to move to objective based maps if they are unhappy in DM PvP... Its more fun because both sides are forced to act.

I must caveat ive only just got to tier 2 Klingon PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-05-2010, 06:56 AM
A possible solution is to limit the ability to detect enemies while cloaked to a shorter range. The idea being you get to see them approaching and then they cloak to attack
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-06-2010, 09:48 AM
to be honest all whis complaining on cloaked ships is ridiculous and even removing the ablity to cloak would be an even worse idea. one it woud not be cannon to remove the cloaking ablity who wants to play a klingon or romulan ship that cant cloak. To be honest i think the people that complain about cloaking are people that dont understand battle. In war its never balanced. One side always has some type of advantage whether it be numbers or equipment. Iv gone into battle in my groups and we had variety of ships and one. we used tactics and corinated with each other which works great cause with out communication you will fail in battle. We used tractor beams scaned, and had different heals its all skill.
So to make things more even would be boring and it would be catering to people that cant think before they leap.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Having played other games where stealth was an issue....you just have to find it's counter measure. Which is usually some type of accuracy or "sensor" type ability. Also give this issue time. The game is only a week old, players haven't yet discovered effective counter tactics yet. I guarantee a month or two from now stealth won't be as big of a "OMG...Dooom" isue as seems now.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstahr View Post
Having played other games where stealth was an issue....you just have to find it's counter measure. Which is usually some type of accuracy or "sensor" type ability. Also give this issue time. The game is only a week old, players haven't yet discovered effective counter tactics yet. I guarantee a month or two from now stealth won't be as big of a "OMG...Dooom" isue as seems now.
The actual combat balance for cloak and countermeasures is very good in STO. I am sure it will continue to tweak back and forth from stealth to detection but it seems fairly balanced to me.

The problem is that there is no means to home in on enemy ships, or friendly ships for that matter, from outside visibility range - whether cloaked or not. It is from the game design perspective that I believe there could be improvement for better game-play in the long term.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstahr View Post
All the counter measures were nerfed due to crying by klinks in beta. Even MES which sort of evened the tables was nerfed due to crying.

Anyway back to topic. I would like to see a diminishing return type of detect cloaked. It would add some suspense to both sides. For example, say detection worked out to 12 km but only had a 20% to work. As you got closer the odds got better... at 7 km it was 50% ... at 4 km it was 80%. The detection check would run every 6 seconds.

Now that would keep everyone on their seats. Because even at 4 km range, no one knows for sure if the area is clear or not