Lt. Commander
# 121
09-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Why not have a mixture of servers like I have seen In Conan. Have PvE, PvP, and total RPG experience with a mixture. Most people may want to create an "ambush" in some sector of space. Since the galaxy is immense you may want to stake out a favorite warp point where people usually emerge when traveling to a certain location. Another factor which I have not seen discussed (though I may have missed it) regards the coordinate system. Will you say go to the Beta Reticuli System, go to the planet Pegasys 2, or will need to meet your friends at the planet at 30-mark15. How do you navigate? Do you have Stellar Cartography?
Lt. Commander
# 122
09-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Given that the story and character of Star Trek are almost iconic, how will the story element be delivered? Will there be voiceovers or cut scenes?

Star Trek Online takes place about 30 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis and Star Trek: Voyager, in the year 2409. Many of the characters have retired, passed on or otherwise evolved. Certainly, some characters have very long lifespans, and many will have had children. Expect to see the descendants of some of your favorite characters, old enemies return and friends evolve. And definitely expect to visit familiar locations like Starfleet Academy in San Francisco, Deep Space 9, Qo'noS, Vulcan and many others, as well as strange and entirely new worlds.
I hate to be pedantic, but this question hasn't actually been answered. I'd like to see the answer: "how will the story element be delivered? Will there be voiceovers or cut scenes?"
Lt. Commander
# 123
09-08-2008, 09:46 AM
There will probably be cut scenes at critical junctures in the campaign-type mode. But how would you work that into a PvP universe where it is a "free for all" and how would you trigger them? As in WoW and other MMO's , when you are "questing and grinding" you will have familiar regions. But, this is conjecture based on other MMORPGs.
Lt. Commander
# 124
09-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Matthew Riker
PVP? EVE? GREF? Is there a legend I should be reading to understand these references? I don't play World of ******** so if these are common online gaming acronyms, keep in mind that some of us are new to the whole experience. That being said...

I like the fact that the statement has been made that while some races are not inherently evil that they have different value systems which will impact their interactions. As for two species in combat having a fair battle...I would expect it to come down to skill rather than physicality of weapons type.
PvP = Player vs. Player
PvE = Player vs. Environment
Grief = To intentionally cause another player to fail at an encounter through one's own actions. (IE, on a PvP type server, if someone is trying to accomplish a task, and another player comes in and does actions to disrupt the completion of that task, that would be griefing.)
Lt. Commander
# 125
09-09-2008, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance85 View Post
So the pvp side of the game will be nearly based upon the basic pvp in Wow in the sense that you become open to it when you enter some parts of the map but not in all of the parts.?

I should point out that in any game I have played mmo any attempt to restrict pvp has never worked, largely because those that are pro pvp tend to complain so much to game designers that they change the game, this won’t be the case in this game will it?

why will restricted pvp not work? in WoW it DOES work and it works great. You' ve got the option to go to arena, you can play battleground and also there is some open pvp in some areas. In my opinion this would be the best handling of pvp in sto because star trek never was a idea of a future where war can handle everything. War is used as the last possiblity when diplomacy does not work anymore. Similar to this idea pvp should be in sto in my opinion. There are save sectors with the presence of a lot federation ships where it is nearly impossible to be attacked and sectors where you can find a lot enemies and where you can be attacked behind every asteroid. Why not? For me this sounds great and funny.
Lt. Commander
# 126
09-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Given that the story and character of Star Trek are almost iconic, how will the story element be delivered? Will there be voiceovers or cut scenes?

Star Trek Online takes place about 30 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis and Star Trek: Voyager, in the year 2409. Many of the characters have retired, passed on or otherwise evolved. Certainly, some characters have very long lifespans, and many will have had children. Expect to see the descendants of some of your favorite characters, old enemies return and friends evolve. And definitely expect to visit familiar locations like Starfleet Academy in San Francisco, Deep Space 9, Qo'noS, Vulcan and many others, as well as strange and entirely new worlds.
dont want to sound picky.. but... wheres the answer about the voiceovers n cutscenes? the other information in that answer is old news everyone knows through the other interviews.
Lt. Commander
# 127 Borg..
09-11-2008, 10:22 AM
WILL ther be borg playable.. and if so when will we be able to play them... also how will you deal with haveing a ship concered via bording.. will that ship fall under the command of the main bording caption. and if so will there be a cool down time till the ship functions like it would if it where under the orgianl owner??
Lt. Commander
I hope that theres a small game mechanic that encourages players to keep a log. Especially with the exploring aspect. If you think about it, All ship captains are in thier own ways, scientists and scientists keep logs. I think it would be cool to take information you gather on certain systems (be it information gathered from sensors, probes, away missions, ect) and "add info to log" this way, that player's faction will be rewarded by having exclusive knowledge of that system. Perhaps make all the data you gather from your sensor logs have a "Add this information to captain's log" function.

This way when you mention a particular system or scan file (marked with a stardate/time) It will show up in your log as a link to the sensor logs that you took.

Example:

Captain's Log Stardate 42347.whatever

We've discovered a new class M planet in the Devron System that we'ved decided to name "Eric 3"(link to data on Eric 3)

We've gathered extensive data on Eric 3's extremly active "Volcanic Activity" (link to ship's sensor log entry)

This would encourage players to keep a log AND give them a bonus for doing so! Not to mention adding a benifit to exploring.

Another cool option would be to have the choice of entering information in your personal log or your Ship's log. Naturally your ships log would be available for all in your faction to see where as your personal log could contain information you've learned that you wish to keep secret.

Whatdyall think?
Lt. Commander
# 129 Classes
09-11-2008, 04:58 PM
As a seasoned MMORPG player, (CoH and SWG), I believe that starting players off as a Captian of their own ship is a BIG leap. I have joined many Star Trek SIMMING groups, particulary on mIRC, and you start out as either an ensign or a Private, depending on your choice of Enlisted or Officer. You also start out in the Academy, a basic run trhough of commands ect. I would personally, not be interested in being a captian of my own ship, at first. I would like to be able to work your way though the ranks, earning you Rank through XP and Level Gaining. Just an idea.
Lt. Commander
# 130
09-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraFerron View Post
As a seasoned MMORPG player, (CoH and SWG), I believe that starting players off as a Captian of their own ship is a BIG leap. I have joined many Star Trek SIMMING groups, particulary on mIRC, and you start out as either an ensign or a Private, depending on your choice of Enlisted or Officer. You also start out in the Academy, a basic run trhough of commands ect. I would personally, not be interested in being a captian of my own ship, at first. I would like to be able to work your way though the ranks, earning you Rank through XP and Level Gaining. Just an idea.
You should watch the webcast. In the webcast he mentioned the truism that in both the star trek universe and in the real world, you dont have to be a captain in rank in order to be called the captain of a vessel. You just need to be the superior officer. We see this in first contact when LT Cmdr Worf was captain of the defiant at the battle of sector 01.

When you start the game, you wont start as a captain in rank, you'll just be refurred to as the "captain" of your own, tiny ship. As you work up the ranks, you than get to "captain" (as a verb) larger ships with bigger crews.