Lt. Commander
# 11
02-06-2010, 11:47 AM
My usual copy/paste regarding exploration's development. Please note that they never say "when" or "how". If anyone has more information, please post, I collect them.

Jack Emmert said in his last chat that Cryptic will implement diplomacy and / or minigames

Quote:
Guest-1297: Do you plan to add non-combat gameplay elements in the game, like minigames or a diplomacy system ?
Jack-Cryptic: Yes.
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming/...ipt/td-p/91426

Zinc said on Storadio that Cryptic will add more non combat in the star clusters

http://www.mmojunkies.tv/2010/01/28/...y-mmo-junkies/
Direct download : http://mmojunkies.podbean.com/mf/web...radioshow8.mp3 (@48mn25)

He said it again in an interview by MMORPG website :

Quote:
Many open beta players have complained that the missions are repetitive. Why is this, and is more variation planned in the near future?
STO Team:

We definitely have plans for more exploration and more diplomatic missions. Also more fleet actions will be included. There are a lot of things that we are looking to add in the game that gives it great variation and different styles of gameplay. One of the things people have been talking a lot about is more interaction on your ship, so that is one thing we're looking at now.
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...Interview.html
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Their views on Exploration wasn't when they first started working on it, they did a Dev Interview in late November, Early December where they said that there would be exploration involving finding new planets, naming them and having coordinates to give to your fleet mates so they could visit it. I guess their definition of coordinate is go to Kassae sector and zone into <insert name> instance. I call it a straight up lie ... wish Cryptic would defend themselves so we knew what the hell is going on. The only thing truthful so far is it is a Star Trek MMO and we have ships. Rest of it is repetitive crap so far...
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-06-2010, 11:50 AM
I agree that I would like to see more exploration. But realistically, I have trouble figuring out how someone could present it so it's fun beyond the first few times.

No matter what they do, eventually, it'll degrade into the same ol' thing, because honestly, there's just not much to meeting new races. It's great in theory, but when you do it for the 20th time, it's just going to be a "skip through the dialogue text from the randomly generated alien, then get your xp."

This isn't a troll post. I want exploration. So let me ask you more creative folks.

How can it be presented in such a way that it will be a substantive gameplay feature that isn't bashed just as much as the exploration missions now?

Are you just talking asthetics? Let the missions be like they are now, but add some local color? If so, I'm good with that.

I think people are underestimating the difficulty of creating this exploration and still making it not just feel like a cheap gimmick. Exploration is something that (I think) is better as a premise than as a story. I mean, really, about 5% of all star trek stories were actually about exploration.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-06-2010, 12:01 PM
My favorite was doing an exploration on a, what appears from space, to be a very red planet. Ended up being a lush green area. red =/= green right?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr View Post
I agree that I would like to see more exploration. But realistically, I have trouble figuring out how someone could present it so it's fun beyond the first few times.

No matter what they do, eventually, it'll degrade into the same ol' thing, because honestly, there's just not much to meeting new races. It's great in theory, but when you do it for the 20th time, it's just going to be a "skip through the dialogue text from the randomly generated alien, then get your xp."

This isn't a troll post. I want exploration. So let me ask you more creative folks.

How can it be presented in such a way that it will be a substantive gameplay feature that isn't bashed just as much as the exploration missions now?

Are you just talking asthetics? Let the missions be like they are now, but add some local color? If so, I'm good with that.

I think people are underestimating the difficulty of creating this exploration and still making it not just feel like a cheap gimmick. Exploration is something that (I think) is better as a premise than as a story. I mean, really, about 5% of all star trek stories were actually about exploration.
I would like to see people, animals, etc. Something to interact with besides rocks and plants.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-06-2010, 12:57 PM
planets dont always have to have fauna, could be all you do is discover a habitabl rock. but you should have to go in and scan it for lifeforms log your entries. go on with you exploration, finding first contact should be like a purple rare. fauna a blue rare. ect.. GEEK STUFF...