Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckJedi
To my knowledge I don't remember ever having an auto attack/fire in city of heroes. Always had to press a corresponding button to do an attack. People who made city of heroes made STO. I can see why there is still no autofire in some instances if my memory serves right. I agree with you all about auto fire (I played wow so I like a auto attack) but I'll live without it too. I still like the game.
Traditional games like WoW, and (I guess) city of heroes and the like have no real problem with this because your character can normally perform 1 action at a time. In WoW, you do an action, have a global cooldown before you can do another (or a cast time), so you have a chance to think of your next action. One at a time.

However, STO is different. While captain abilities and BO abilities follow that trend, we also have weapons and shields which do not. We have multiple weapon systems which can fire pretty much constantly (even cannons and torps with their internal cooldown fire pretty constantly), and those are independent of your BO and captain abilities. On top of that, you also have shield strengths to take care off, which can be activated at the same time as weapons, and abilities. So, this is not a linear action sequence that you do, you have to do all of them at the same time. So what are we left with? pressing the space bar like mad so our weapons fire and we can pay attention to shields or abilities, or other things in the game.

So the strong point in the game is also the weakest. It is GOOD that we can do many things at a time, the ship feels capable and responsive. It feels like a ship. But, at the same time the game mechanics do not make it east to do all those things at the same time. So it can be frustrating at the end. Can it be fixed? sure! automation on some things can let the player pick what they want to focus on, and the system actually helps instead of hindering like it is now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raximillian
That is why this is optional. If you do not like it, do not use it.

Thanks for agreeing pressing the space bar takes no skill. And that is correct, it does not. Now, you say it takes some effort, and that is not a problem really. The question is, what does that extra effort lead to? Does it show more skill? nope, you agreed it does not. Does it add more fun? considering I have a myriad of other things to take care of and this is not an arcade game, no it does not add more fun. Does it add more tactics? nope, as long as I have energy, it does not add more tactics.

So, in the end, what did that extra effort add to the game? Apparently, just complications for your carpal tunnel as far as I can see. So can that constant button pressing be removed from the game without it suffering? yup, I believe it can. This is a tactical game, not an FPS. Clicking like a madman may be ok for an FPS but not for this kind of game. It just creates more tension for the player, more lag (as it has to send more info to the server), and more unhappy customers.
If you cant play the ship type dont play it. I dont recall them forcing you to play a cruiser or any other class of ship! Do you want cryptic to come out with a butt wiper program for you to??
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray10 View Post
If you cant play the ship type dont play it. I dont recall them forcing you to play a cruiser or any other class of ship! Do you want cryptic to come out with a butt wiper program for you to??
Read the post just above yours. Don't want to type that out again.

I'm playing a science ship thank you very much, and any ship with more than 1 front and 1 rear weapon will have that problem with limited autofire. If I play an escorty with 3 cannons, same thing. tap tap tap tap tap to keep the cannons firing. If I play a cruiser and when I get to T5 with 8 weapons... Oh god...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raximillian
Read the post just above yours. Don't want to type that out again.

I'm playing a science ship thank you very much, and any ship with more than 1 front and 1 rear weapon will have that problem with limited autofire. If I play an escorty with 3 cannons, same thing. tap tap tap tap tap to keep the cannons firing. If I play a cruiser and when I get to T5 with 8 weapons... Oh god...
There is always ground combat. Though Im sure they will want you to hit the fire button there to.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray10 View Post
There is always ground combat. Though Im sure they will want you to hit the fire button there to.
I have no problem hitting buttons. That's all cool as long as the button has a tactical decision associated with it and a good reason. However, tapping a button to keep the weapons firing simply because the devs are too lazy to enable autofire is not good. We have autorun. we have energy sliders that stick to position. Would you be ok with having to hit the weapon energy slider to put it up all the time because it does not stick? probably not. Would you be ok with having to keep pressing forward to keep your ship moving? probably not. Would you be ok with having to keep pressing a button on ground combat to make your BOs fire their weapon? probably not. Those things do not add to the game. Yet the same thing happens with weapons in space and no autofire. Even worse, no answer from Cryptic. It's getting a bit ridiculous already.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 AM.