Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
http://rubenfield.com/?p=84

Its really worth reading, someone sent me that in an email earlier. Its old and ancient as of now, but... realistically? insightful.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2010, 07:58 PM
A lot of those free to play korean MMOs have adapted that model. It's clever if you ask me, however I prefer playing the game and doing that, might make people with money and the intent to spend it on that, really really really lame powergamers.
Kind of like, car racing: if we all have the same car, it's interesting and skill is the determining factor. If everyone can buy their own car, the rich people are going to win, regardless of their skill, because they can simply buy whatever advantage they need.

For cosmetic purposes though, the item sale isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't make those items have game related advantages.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-06-2010, 08:03 PM
oh i agree entirely, i dont like that model at all, but if we want to win the war, it is a solution.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-06-2010, 08:06 PM
This is essentially the same as the "legalize drugs in order to make black market sales economically unfeasible, and tax them to make some government dollars on the side" argument, which scares the living hell out of me, but whose logic I can't refute.

Logically, it would work.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaxormi
http://rubenfield.com/?p=84

Its really worth reading, someone sent me that in an email earlier. Its old and ancient as of now, but... realistically? insightful.
Ah that article reminds me of my days in Lineage2, fighting the farmer bots for kills of a certain mob/spawn area ..... such a horrid experience it was ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
This is essentially the same as the "legalize drugs in order to make black market sales economically unfeasible, and tax them to make some government dollars on the side" argument, which scares the living hell out of me, but whose logic I can't refute.

Logically, it would work.
you have a point, though the legalized drug arguement, in some cases, is more along the lines of "well alcohol is typically worse then x drug actually is" but i digress.

sadly, the "official" sale of gold and goods via the "cstore" (outside special items) would cause problems, namely artificial inflation of goods etc. people will figure "so and so probably bought 8 mill EC from Cstore so he should easily be able to afford 1 mill for x common item" other sellers will then see that their same item can make them 5 times what they would have gotten and adjust prices accordingly. next thing we know everything is MASSIVELY over priced which will inspire more gold buying and lead to a looped effect.

of course it wouldn't be everyone, but the vast majority would proliferate the inflation of pricing beyond what it should be for the sake of percieved higher profit, and all because "EC" would be so much easier to get in vast quantities.