Lt. Commander
# 1 Bridge Officer Career Paths?
02-06-2010, 11:10 AM
My main character is only a Lt Cdr grade 3 so perhaps there are changes to how things work in the higher levels of the game.

I made a post about how different environments (nebulas, foggy atmospheres, etc) can make having bridge officers with high skill points in different fields more meaningful. If you are in a nebula that limits your ability to detect the enemy until he is 1km away, but you have a BO with a lot of points in a skill involving sensors, you may detect the enemy a few clicks before they detect you. Or if you are in an area that makes shields inoperative but you have an engineer well skilled in shield-related skills, you get to have shields at 20% strength vice nothing.

The idea came to me about more specialization. From what I have seen so far, eventually all your bridge officers can have max points in each skill. What about being able to select a specialty for each BO? For example, an engineer who specializes in repairing hull and subsystem damage gets to have 15 points in those skills, and only 6 or 7 max in other skills. You might even create bridge officers who only have Space skills, and others with only Ground / Combat skills. You could give the Ground officers Army / Marine ranks (i.e., Major vs Lt Cmdr, Colonel vs Captain, General vs Admiral).

Just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2010, 01:21 PM
I read and commented on your thread in the other forum area. I think having BO specialization is a good further down the road, but they'd need to allow players to have more BOs, and they'd need to deal with BO skills in a more effective manner.

As a side note: I don't think that having ground vs. space only BOs is a good idea. Not only does that lead to unnecessary clutter, it can bother RPers, or just people who like having the same BOs around most of the time. Also, having army ranks is pretty non-canonical, starfleet is a fleet, regardless of whether you're in space or on the ground.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaMHC
Also, having army ranks is pretty non-canonical, starfleet is a fleet, regardless of whether you're in space or on the ground.
In the 6th Star Trek movie, 'The Undiscovered Country' one of the people involved in the plot to stop the peace process was Colonel West. If there was a Colonel, then it only stands to reason there are Majors, Lt. Colonels, Generals.