Lt. Commander
# 1 anyone have the 3d goggles
02-06-2010, 10:32 PM
I hear nvidia made some 3d goggles for this game. Anyone have em?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Not sure where you heard it from. I have tried this game in stereoscopic 3D (have zalman 3D monitor) with nVidia drivers (meaning I get the same 3D effect as would nVidia 3D vision user) and have to say - it isn't really working that well in stereoscopic.

And I am not talking about performance here - significant performance drop when enabling stereoscopic mode is to be expected. After all, you are rendering two viewpoints instead of one. But what is really awkward in STO is the fact that depth appears to be quite screwer up. Interface being in your face is to be expected, but the asteroids and the like really appear to be in the wrong place. Same goes for selection markers.

Mind you - I have tried 3D back in the beta days, so it might have improved by now, but I seriously doubt that it did or ever will. Stereoscopic 3D is such a niche market right now, and Cryptic has so much to do with this game that I just dn't see them suddenly turning around and saying - "Listen, to hell with Klingon PvE, additional content, stability improvements and all else! Let's make the game look pretty in 3D, so that the fraction of a percent of our customers who can use the mode are happy"
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Yes STO can be viewed in 3d using the Nvidia 3d glasses. Right now there is a problem with shadows and space gas cloud layers that can hurt the eyes.

You might go to a CompUSA store if you have one near you, seen a Nvidia 3d display in store near me, to try them out.

Nvidia says that you can view over 400 games in 3d now with some working better than others in how they look. Plus this summer the major tv makers will be releasing a flood of 3d tvs for sale and some are starting 3d channels for broadcast live games and movies.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Ze Goggles! Zey Do Nothing!