Lt. Commander
So, I ventured into the IRC to see if a dev was about to get an ETA or some info on the missing uniform parts and the inability to equip special unlocks on BO's. What I found was QQing far worse than I've found on the forums. Even when explaining certain things, people argued with me. And heaven forbid I defend Cryptic, or even compare some of their practices to other major MMO developers (because, y'know, Cryptic is apparently different).

Yes, I will defend Cryptic and support them. They've made two great games that I've played (CO, and STO). I enjoy their games, and the customization within them, as well as a different approach to MMOs in general. Does this mean I'll blindly follow them and support every decision? No. There's things in CO I didn't like, and wish they'd take a look at.

There's things in STO I wish they'd take a look at, and fix. Number one, the uniforms CO lifers paid for (even though I'm not a CO lifer), and the DDE/CE uniforms that have been paid for but are still not operating correctly. Other than that, I'm enjoying STO.

Requiring to set up a sub before you get your 30 days free game time? Standard practice in my experience. The only time this isn't the case (in my experience) is when you use a 14 day trial and upgrade to the actual game (and that was only with WoW and EVE). Otherwise, you buy the box, you sign up for a sub and get your 30 days.

Bugs at launch and server instability? OMG, it's the end of the world! Show me a single MMO that even today comes out 100% bug free and 100% stable, and I will bow to your rage as you enlighten me with <insert game here>'s utter awesomeness. I played CO and WAR at launch, and this is a far better product compared to both when they launched.

Microtransactions? Cry me a river. Don't like it, don't buy em. I personally plan on buying some of the uniforms once they've hit a certain timeframe and are added to the C-Store (please add them to the C-Store after a couple months), or new ship parts. Otherwise, meh. Don't really care.

Anyways, if you consider all of the above? Yes I'm a Cryptic fanboy. Do I care? No, not really. So long as they keep working on their games and making them better, then fine by me.

/rant off
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Double post: Forgot to mention in my support section that this company has more involvement with their community and players than most others I've dealt with (well, I can only think of one at the moment and they're relatively new, Runic). They give us more info than other companies (starts with a B, ends with a d). And they're pretty active around here. That speaks volumes for me as a gamer and a consumer.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 02:15 AM
You are a Cryptic fanboy.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
You are a Cryptic fanboy.
Chat fanboy too. :p

It's gonna be hard for me take over the world considering how many minions you have.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenTechJ View Post
Chat fanboy too. :p

It's gonna be hard for me take over the world considering how many minions you have.
Ehehe. you asked and Chat complied. :p

Chat prefers a more neutral stance as she did in CO(and well every other MMO). Wont give any comments either way about it all.
That is unless they decided to do a Vibora Pay here. (one of the rare times Chat actually voiced her opinion about Cryptic)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 02:23 AM
Fannnnnnbooooooooooy

right....

im bored now

/free bump
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Ehehe. you asked and Chat complied. :p

Chat prefers a more neutral stance as she did in CO(and well every other MMO). Wont give any comments either way about it all.
That is unless they decided to do a Vibora Pay here. (one of the rare times Chat actually voiced her opinion about Cryptic)
I try to stay neutral for the most part (and I obviously fail in some regards), but I guess all the QQ about this game kinda sent me over the edge and I went in rant mode. Doesn't happen very often, I promise.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2010, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenTechJ View Post
I try to stay neutral for the most part (and I obviously fail in some regards), but I guess all the QQ about this game kinda sent me over the edge and I went in rant mode. Doesn't happen very often, I promise.
Chat just rolls her eyes in the real world and says "Then why don't you just leave"(ok so she does that in swedish but details details...) when someone posts something snide about the game in general. :p
And then she moves onto the next thread.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-07-2010, 02:27 AM
OP is right. I dont think i need to go into a huge list of reasons either, GenTechJ has highlighted most of what I would say too.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-07-2010, 02:32 AM
I'm curious, does Chat always speak about herself in the third person?

And yes, what's happening here in STO is normal for the first month or so of any MMO. So I'm ok with that. If it continues into March then I'll start agreeing with the people on the forums who ragepost every time the server goes down.

I also agree with those people that dislike the almost complete lack of Klingon PvE content, and the lack of non-combat missions. Unlike the rageposters I am willing to give Cryptic some time to add those in.