Lt. Commander
# 21
02-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
I understand your frustration but tlet me tell you its way way better than open beta and headstart. It was down every day 2-3 times.
Way better then open beta and headstart? It was down 3 times just yesterday. I understand they are trying to fix the issue, but think before you type.
Lt. Commander
# 22 Servers
02-06-2010, 01:56 PM
I hate to break it to you, but this is a simple problem of economics. Cryptic probably spent millions coding the game, developing content, testing, etc. They only had a certain amount left to spend on the server hardware and bandwidth (as others pointed out, the game is instanced to allow them to spread the load across probaly hundreds of individual servers).

It's frustrating to us as gamers that they didn't put more money in to purchasing hardware, but given how accountants and bankers look at any new product launch, the producers probably did not have a lot of options. Their backers were only going to give them so much money to spend total on bringing this game to market, and they had to try to strike a balance between having more/better content and gameplay to start, or spending less on the development side and more on purchasing equipment.

As their share of the money spent on the boxes starts to roll in (they likely received little from the pre-order sales until after the retailers got theirs at launch, many retailers do not want to pay for software inventory up front since they can't be sure how much actually will sell) they are now scrambling to take that money and put it towards purchasing new servers and/or increased bandwidth. Of course that is going to take time to work into their existing infrastructure.

I don't like the game lagging or crashing, but realising it's right after launch I can be patient. If Cryptic gets their act together in the next couple weeks, I'll continue to play. If they can't, I'll cancel before the end of the 30 day trial and move on. Cryptic will add as much capacity as they can afford to, as quickly as they can get the hardware in and configured. If it is fast enough, the launch will end up being remembered a success. If not, it will be remembered with the other botched launches. Either will happen regardless of how many complaining, threatening, and begging posts we make.

At least Cryptic doesn't appear so far to have made the mistake Sigil made of blowing through their money too fast and not putting enough effort into development, then having to rush Vanguard into live status while the game was still painfully obviously incomplete and lacking in a lot of ways. Finishing a game that is launched far from ready is far more time consuming than simply expanding capacity for a game that is mostly ready (no MMO is truly "complete" since they are expected to continue to add/tweak content during the entire lifespan of the game).
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Baker
Ok so the game is great.......................... WHEN IT'S NOT RUNNING SLOW AND THE SERVER IS RESPONDING ...................... Sort it out please ...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a good thing you posted this. Now that you've asked nicely, Cryptic will work on the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philroe View Post
Way better then open beta and headstart? It was down 3 times just yesterday. I understand they are trying to fix the issue, but think before you type.
One big fail point to you.
Lt. Commander
# 25 not impressed
02-06-2010, 03:28 PM
i'm not a star trek fan so that would play into my opinion also but i decided to give it a try and see how it was so far i'm disappointed i like being able to dodge incoming attacks by actually moving out of the way but it doesn't seem to be that way i also like to look out the windows and see my area but i guess since my ship is the first one i get a picture of stars lol i'm still gonna try to give it a shot though i like the ground combat and i haven't had any problems with lag or rubberbanding just not sure how much longer i'll be playing its definately not what i thought it would be maybe give it to my brother he used to love star trek (was gonna try to play the game with him)
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-06-2010, 03:32 PM
maybe they should do like SDEnternet does with the game navyfield, have 3 servers set up to spread things out some and if you want to build a crew on each server then you have to level them seperately. you cant transfer between servers.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-07-2010, 02:51 AM
Working fine at 09:00 GMT in UK

No Lag
No Server Not Responding

No America Online

Great.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-07-2010, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthang
I have some rubberbanding from time to time, nothing serious. Other than that, no lag at all. No server disconnects. Nice, close to normal, game. Then again my ISP is rock solid, and my network setup is the same at 26 mbit connection.
Ditto, i also only have a few times with a little rubberbanding.
Other than that the game runs great on both my Workstation and Notepad.
I guess that the ISP some users use are not top notch.