Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 STO: MMO or Not
02-07-2010, 04:02 AM
I am coming from years of experience of MMO's where the player logs on into a game world that he can interact with, be it with crafting, PvE,PvP so on and so forth. STO doesnt feel like a MMO at all. more like a collection of links to instance groups.
Where is the content? How come I can beam down to Qo'os and only be able to go the Great Hall?
How come I can go to the Sol System but only beam over to a huge star base and not to beam to Federation Headquarters in San Fransico?
What i'm getting at is that the Planets need to be filled in with content, cities for players to live in(cant live in your ship 24/7) There needs to be Crafting and alot more added.



Discuss
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-07-2010, 04:09 AM
Lack of content is one of the major issues of this game.

But Cryptic seem to care more about marketing (like this ridiculous "zomg we had an amazing week", which was an INSULT to all players!) and filling the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-07-2010, 04:11 AM
I don't feel like it's very MMOish. I've pretty much played the entire game solo. I know that's more my play style. But i play most MMOs solo but at least I run into others while playing, and make friends in-game. This is way too isolating.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-07-2010, 04:38 AM
Its not a MMO, its a CORPG
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-07-2010, 04:42 AM
Actually I would say it's more a MMOG... as there is no active roleplaying happening anyway.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-07-2010, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauserG43
I am coming from years of experience of MMO's where the player logs on into a game world that he can interact with, be it with crafting, PvE,PvP so on and so forth. STO doesnt feel like a MMO at all. more like a collection of links to instance groups.
Where is the content? How come I can beam down to Qo'os and only be able to go the Great Hall?
How come I can go to the Sol System but only beam over to a huge star base and not to beam to Federation Headquarters in San Fransico?
What i'm getting at is that the Planets need to be filled in with content, cities for players to live in(cant live in your ship 24/7) There needs to be Crafting and alot more added.



Discuss
It's too heavily instanced. I don't feel as if I'm playing an MMO, more like a Co-Op game with a subscription fee.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieyls View Post
Actually I would say it's more a MMOG... as there is no active roleplaying happening anyway.
how about a COG then (Co-operative Online Game)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-07-2010, 04:50 AM
I"ve seen absolutely no need to group with anyone and my team requests are routinely ignored by the large number of what I suspect to be Tac officer escort drivin' loot *****s.

Without a death penalty, who cares if you die? If I still get skill points for going AFK during the FA or the deep space encounter, who cares if I touch a key? With the rampant "the game doesn't start till 50" attitude, who cares if you've got to grind your way through via Deep Space Encounters?

It's not an MMO because I don't see any scenario where we'll see in open chat "Need ENG/SCI for XXXXXX mission, must have VM, TR, and GW trained to the max and be able to CC Borg without fail." There's no real defined roles for grouping now, so why do it?

Does anyone see any reason why they should group, because that's what's going to get at the heart of whether this is a MMO or not? No reason to group, then it's just a bunch of folks flying around aimlessly.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9 I think, it doesn't matter
02-07-2010, 04:54 AM
Its all about the gameplay.

I would enjoy all those things you mention, but I don't feel they make or break the success of the game.

I don't want to live in the federation, I want to be a part of the action (be in the shows so to speak), and I think Cryptic have done a really good job of making that possible.

In terms of new content. I'm most interested in seeing increased variety within the missions, maybe some things to "discover" not in the ordinarly plot arc (secret sub-missions and hidden bonuses would be great).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-07-2010, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnuting View Post
. . . but at least I run into others while playing, and make friends in-game. This is way too isolating.
I have also plaid my fair share of MMORPG's - EQ, EQ2, SWG . . . Unfortunately, I've had no choice but to describe STO to my friends as "an over-glorified clan server". Sure, I've have 2 friends that also got into this game, but, as Winnuting stated above, there's really no way to meet and run into others, like I'm used to doing . . .

There is the lack of MASSIVE in this MMO, IMHO . . .

As I had stated in other posts, Cryptic has avoided the "world server" issue, but by doing so, all they can really do, to handle the sheer number and influx of players, is to have an instanced or "clan server" structure.

- ALBATROSS!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:51 AM.