Lt. Commander
# 1 More Servers Please?
02-07-2010, 08:04 AM
CRYPTIC, you really need to add even more servers, because you are still getting an overwhelming response and its going to get even bigger....please add more servers.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Worst introduction, fan art, fan fiction, role play and friendly post... Ever.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Chat your avatar scares me. Go back to the cute smiling yellow face thing or something please
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatherworldians View Post
Chat your avatar scares me. Go back to the cute smiling yellow face thing or something please
Is that better?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 08:10 AM
awww cute. yes much better. hmmm lil blury but still good.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 08:11 AM
I must admit, I was a little surprised to see that it appears there's only a single server. (Server Status: Up/Down) I just thought, "Really? No way, an MMO can't run off a single server..."

But then I got into yesterday's queue of, like, 1,100. And I thought, "Wow... they MUST only have one server." And this morning's maintenence causing worldwide chaos during peak hours in other countries just confirmed that.

All MMOs kinda start off this way, with problems like this. I remember frequently having to wait in a queue to play World of ******** a couple years ago. That doesn't happen anymore.

Star Trek is a popular franchise. I'm a little surprised there weren't more servers to begin with. But I think that even the developers would recognize by now that they can't continue to function on a single server. I'm sure there will be additions and this will be a thing of the past shortly.

...I hope.

BTW, I must admit, would a thread like this really belong here?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 08:14 AM
course I can't talk. I have to put the link for my avatar. hmm...

I may attempt to alter the colors later with my Nero Photo shop. Still thinking.

(sorry OP for going off topic)
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker3
CRYPTIC, you really need to add even more servers, because you are still getting an overwhelming response and its going to get even bigger....please add more servers.
1) They know. They've explicitly stated in their newsposts that they are augmenting their server farm even as you QQ.

2) Ten Forward is not the place to QQ about downtime. Take it to a feedback forum where people care.

3) Go away.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-07-2010, 08:19 AM
the only MMO i know that can Pull off the one server thing well is EVE

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
1) They know. They've explicitly stated in their newsposts that they are augmenting their server farm even as you QQ.

2) Ten Forward is not the place to QQ about downtime. Take it to a feedback forum where people care.

3) Go away.
Or that
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarzGurl View Post
I must admit, I was a little surprised to see that it appears there's only a single server. (Server Status: Up/Down) I just thought, "Really? No way, an MMO can't run off a single server..."

But then I got into yesterday's queue of, like, 1,100. And I thought, "Wow... they MUST only have one server." And this morning's maintenence causing worldwide chaos during peak hours in other countries just confirmed that.

All MMOs kinda start off this way, with problems like this. I remember frequently having to wait in a queue to play World of ******** a couple years ago. That doesn't happen anymore.

Star Trek is a popular franchise. I'm a little surprised there weren't more servers to begin with. But I think that even the developers would recognize by now that they can't continue to function on a single server. I'm sure there will be additions and this will be a thing of the past shortly.

...I hope.

BTW, I must admit, would a thread like this really belong here?
I really hate to post in this thread, because it doesn't even belong here in 10 forward, but i want to clear up some confusion you seem to have about servers.

There appears to be one Shard (world) that we all play in. This shard can exist not only across multiple Servers but even multiple racks of servers (and probably does). They are adding more servers (might have already added them), but that is only the beginning of bringing more servers online. There's all kinds of sharing and load balancing that needs to be done It's not like replacing a hard drive on a server, where you just yank out a bad one and plug in a good one.

Again, the shard is singular, one sandbox for all us kids. But you can be certain it's running on multiple servers.