Lt. Commander
I guess the basic question is, do skills that we put skill points into for ourselves only affect our abilities (in which case, there's many that there's no point putting skills into), or do they also affect BO abilities.

From one very basic test, it doesn't look like it does not affect it.

I have a BO with the skill of - Emergency Power to Shields 1, I have maxed out his skill in it. Increasing his skill reduced the cooldown time.

However, when I added skillpoints into my own Lt.Commander skill of - "Starship Shield Maintenance" (This skill improves starship shield system abilities. Examples include Emergency Power to shields, Reverse shield polarity). I increased my skill level from +8 to +26, and nothing changed. I checked all stats in the skill (number of seconds active, amount of shield points added, cooldown timer), and all were identical.

I might well be missing something, but shouldn't I be seeing a change there?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I've tried testing some more and still can't see any of those Lt Commander skills affecting BO skills
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relnak
I guess the basic question is, do skills that we put skill points into for ourselves only affect our abilities (in which case, there's many that there's no point putting skills into), or do they also affect BO abilities.
Your captain's skills can affect all your character's abilities - from your captain, kits and your bridge officers - although how exactly they work varies slightly between ground and space abilities.

Quote:
I have a BO with the skill of - Emergency Power to Shields 1, I have maxed out his skill in it. Increasing his skill reduced the cooldown time.
That's correct - a boff's skill level in his space abilities reduces their recharge time.

Quote:
However, when I added skillpoints into my own Lt.Commander skill of - "Starship Shield Maintenance" (This skill improves starship shield system abilities. Examples include Emergency Power to shields, Reverse shield polarity). I increased my skill level from +8 to +26, and nothing changed. I checked all stats in the skill (number of seconds active, amount of shield points added, cooldown timer), and all were identical.

I might well be missing something, but shouldn't I be seeing a change there?
Yes, you should. Not sure why you didn't - the tooltips always update for me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 03:36 PM
The tooltip does update... but it also changes based on your current power output levels.

I've noticed, for example, that Tachyon Beam always shows as 0 in the Skill window, but when I mouseover it when I have that BO assigned to a console, it shows the full updated values for my power setting, and any skills/gear I have affecting that specific power (Deflectors, if I remember right).

Could be what you're seeing here, though I'm not sure where you're checking the skill to see it's effect (if you stated it, it's likely a reading comprehension fail on my part).