Lt. Commander
# 1 Death penalty proposal
02-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Here is what I'd like to see:

A check box that if selected gives a death penalty (Doesn't matter what it is really just a death penalty of some sort)

No changes in loot or rewards, give in game notices or force the pop up to pick when you log in. Run this one month data mining who uses it and who doesn't. Post the results.

If the pro DP people are right we should have better then 50% checking it on.

Now before you say this is unfair, all of you have stated the game to be boring without one,so no extra reward is needed.

That a death penalty is needed for the game to succeed.

That a death penalty is more popular then none.

That a lack of a death penalty is making the game too easy.

That a death penalty give immersion.

That a death penalty teaches you how to play the game.

That a death penalty is needed to make the game fresh.

That a death penalty is needed to make the game challenging.

Then Cryptic publish the statistics to put this debate to rest once and for all.

This will put to rest any doubt about the majority, the need and desire for a death penalty and gives us all numbers that have meaning, no more assuming on either side we will know.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 06:18 PM
This criticism I will never understand. Why in the world would you want a death penalty? Most death penalities make you play the game longer and make things tedious when you just want to advance in a game. They are a way for game companies to make you play more and in turn, pay more. Let's stop this. I for one, do not want a death penalty, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

There are other ways to make a game more difficult or challenging.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenadara
This criticism I will never understand. Why in the world would you want a death penalty? Most death penalities make you play the game longer and make things tedious when you just want to advance in a game. They are a way for game companies to make you play more and in turn, pay more. Let's stop this. I for one, do not want a death penalty, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

Your right, this if they every had the guts to implement would put an end to this stupid debate.

We have more then enough penalties in life we don't need to pay extra for more.

No one would do it, clearly but they will come on the forums of every MMO considering not having a DP and gripe, moan and complain it is essential, we can't live without them. I really wish we could do this test.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 06:33 PM
A check box to instigate a death penalty?

That's as brilliant as having the Priest of Discord in EQ on bluebie servers.

You don't give the player the options of making the game harder or not, it either is or isn't.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenadara

sadly this is the attitude these days. death penalty in my mind is losing your ship, crew and everything that was on it. But the way STO has been setup that'd never be viable. While it'd help create a fantastic and stable economy; building ships, weapon systems, defelectors, etc the game just isn't coded that way. It adds a touch of realism and a hell of a lot of risk. Which in my eyes is exciting. It's why I played EvE and Pirates if the Burning Sea so damn long.

But people want to be spoon fed these days. No risk all reward. might aswell let the game play itself.

Of course this is my opinion. Some share it.. a lot don't. Sadly I was hoping to see more indepth ship customisation, lots more ships in general and an overall set story arcs. Guess we might see it in time :/ but if Champions Online is any indication .. I wont really hold my breath.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewybunny View Post
A check box to instigate a death penalty?

That's as brilliant as having the Priest of Discord in EQ on bluebie servers.

You don't give the player the options of making the game harder or not, it either is or isn't.
yep this is a test. This is meant to prove DP are needed or they are crutches few really would want if givent he choice.

If I was serious about DP options, my first thing is why should you get more for having a DP or not?

If you no DP but sail through content not dying why should you get less of a mission reward then a guy who dies 3 times doing the same mission at the same difficulty?

But really my point is this would be a way to test if purely a DP is needed or wanted,a DP should stand on its own if it is popular and needed.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 06:55 PM
I've seen these threads debated on many forums. It always turns into a never ending topic. If you had any sense you would just take a look around the web and look at what games are MOST popular and compare them to the MMOGs that are the LEAST popular. The games that involve the least amount of griefing tend to be the most successful.

The most popular death penalty I can think of = time wasted getting back to what you were doing.

The argument is that players will not learn from playing if there is no punishment. This is total BS and anyone who knows anything about human psychology knows it is.

People tend to learn from a mistake the instant they make it. Punishing someone after they made a mistake reverts to the old days of lashing people with a whip to make an example out of them. Do you burn yourself with a scolding hot iron every time you make a mistake in real life? No, because the pain of making a mistake is enough.

Then lastly, people are either going to learn from making mistakes or they are not. Even at max level, regardless of the penalties in place, there are idiots who will Leroy Jenkins their way into every scenario. I'd rather not be punished out of some failed attempt to keep morons in check.