Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-07-2010, 07:31 PM
My personnal pet peeve is ALOT... it is A LOT, always two words, never one. Simple rule. No exceptions. Two words.

Cheers!
Helping_A_LOT_Canuck
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michlo View Post
So it is not important to attempt to diminish the diminishing of our language?

Wow.

That is very sad.
It's not diminishing. There have always been those who have used less than perfect English. Now we just see it a lot more often due to the ubiquity of the internet. Before the internet, there was still a low-income, uneducated population. There was still a population who had the resources but not the wherewithal to use proper language. Nothing's changed. Nothing will change. Nothing NEEDS to change. This isn't a horrible, life-threatening condition that will bring about the demise of mankind.

You're very arrogant to think that you can make a difference, even if a difference doesn't need to be made.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
It's not diminishing. There have always been those who have used less than perfect English. Now we just see it a lot more often due to the ubiquity of the internet. Before the internet, there was still a low-income, uneducated population. There was still a population who had the resources but not the wherewithal to use proper language. Nothing's changed. Nothing will change. Nothing NEEDS to change. This isn't a horrible, life-threatening condition that will bring about the demise of mankind.

You're very arrogant to think that you can make a difference, even if a difference doesn't need to be made.
The same arrogance label could be given to you for thinking I shouldn't bother.

Again, go away and get your own thread.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-07-2010, 08:17 PM
While I do cringe when reading things from people who seem to try to re-invent or make up a language as they type, I've never felt the need to point it out to them.

Of course my own messages are always perfect and I never misspell anything. Except definately. I'll never be able to get that right.

I do have a good excuse though: English is not my first language. :p

Oh, and once you hit that 'Submit Thread' button, your thread becomes our thread. Nothing you can do about it.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-07-2010, 08:40 PM
"Your/You're"

I see MAYBE 1/5 forum posters get it right at least once.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-07-2010, 08:52 PM
While I'm usually able to understand what someone is saying when they use poor grammar, the problem with allowing it is that it will continue to degrade. Internet-speak and Text-speak is already becoming too commonplace in non-electronic forums, and to allow it to continue unchecked is asking for a world of ignorance.

I'll give you two examples:

- Someone handed me a resume with a letter of interest a few weeks ago, and the letter was full of emoticon smileys, lacking in punctuation, and had terrible paragraph structure. The applicant obviously had no clue they were doing something wrong...

- When someone says, "Oh Em Gee" or "El Oh El" out loud, they sound like an idiot. I'm sure some people think it's cool, even some of you reading this, but it's ignorant.

Yes, the English language is fluid and constantly changing. But if it's changing faster than the generation gap, it leads to breakdowns in communication, misunderstandings, and the end of civilization.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck
- Someone handed me a resume with a letter of interest a few weeks ago, and the letter was full of emoticon smileys, lacking in punctuation, and had terrible paragraph structure. The applicant obviously had no clue they were doing something wrong...
I really want to cry right now. Or perhaps blow my brains out. That is completely unacceptable. I'm at a loss for words. Although you finding this as shocking as I do makes me feel a lot better. haha.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Quote:
So don't give them the job, and tell them why you didn't give them the job. They'll feel like an idiot and probably stop writing letters of interest like a 14-year-old.

Quote:
- When someone says, "Oh Em Gee" or "El Oh El" out loud, they sound like an idiot. I'm sure some people think it's cool, even some of you reading this, but it's ignorant.
Who's to say they're wrong, or even ignorant? Perhaps that's a new, emerging form of slang. And I've personally never heard that from anyone over the age of 18.

Quote:
Yes, the English language is fluid and constantly changing. But if it's changing faster than the generation gap, it leads to breakdowns in communication, misunderstandings, and the end of civilization.
The English language has always been changing faster than the generation gap. It's called colloquialisms and slang. It's been around a lot longer than you or I have. And it doesn't herald the end of the human race (although I suspect you were being glib there). It's just kids being kids. Or adults who are kids at heart being adults who are kids at heart. It certainly isn't harmful.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Quote:
While I'm usually able to understand what someone is saying when they use poor grammar, the problem with allowing it is that it will continue to degrade. Internet-speak and Text-speak is already becoming too commonplace in non-electronic forums, and to allow it to continue unchecked is asking for a world of ignorance.

I'll give you two examples:

You put it far more eloquently than I did. Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-07-2010, 09:36 PM
grammer and spellings am for peoples whomst cant not thought for themself.

Take that webster.

/end humor attempt :p