Lt. Commander
# 1 Help the Players
02-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Hey
We really need help for the new players arriving at 'Spam City' aka SOL Station. They don't have a clue how to get rid of the spam and its got to such a volume they cant see the those of us there telling them how to get rid of it. By the time text enters chat its gone in a haze of 'Buy our cheap crap creds'. We really need a Moderator in Sol station or a rewrite of the introduction to make sure ppl know how to spam block.

Please Help these ppl all they really wan tot do is play the game and there not able to get anywhere because of all the spam
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Here, Here, totaly agree

the first decient post on this site deserves another Here, Here
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Just a thought, you could always type in here to tell them how to block the spammers ( aka gold sellers ), but yes, it is a good idea
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphantII
Just a thought, you could always type in here to tell them how to block the spammers ( aka gold sellers ), but yes, it is a good idea
And it is a minimal percentage of people who actually come to these boards ....
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks guys

/Shameless bump for dev attention.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Unfortunately it's not just gold sellers causing problems of getting info to new folks, but players themselves. Last time I was at Sol, I had my chat window maximized and it was still flowing so fast only the speediest of typers could respond do anything. So many of the same old Sulu jokes mainly, plus haters talking about how much they hate the game and can't stand it (which begs the question of why they're someplace they hate so much).

What we really need is a help chat tab that flashes for new players to click; only problem then is it'd probably devolve to the barrens type chat /zone is becoming.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 08:25 PM
While I totally agree with the idea of helping newbies learn how to 'turn off' the gold spammers - and I think your idea is a good one - I would prefer that Cryptic spend some time finding ways to block gold spammers from being in the game as opposed to finding ways to help the players tolerate their presence.

Don't treat the symptom. Treat the disease.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapaveza View Post
While I totally agree with the idea of helping newbies learn how to 'turn off' the gold spammers - and I think your idea is a good one - I would prefer that Cryptic spend some time finding ways to block gold spammers from being in the game as opposed to finding ways to help the players tolerate their presence.

Don't treat the symptom. Treat the disease.
I totally agree but that's going to take time or a mod to do, Right now the system they have in place is report them and if they see a lot of ppl have reported the same handle@forum they will look to ban, I just want to speed up the process by either having a mod live in SOL or having everyone knowing from the start how to get rid of spammers. It must be so frustrating logging in for the first time to Star Trek Online and getting assaulted by spam from credit sellers.

Mabie a welcome mail and a quick 'How to' can be sent to new players with a big flashing one time icon that directs them to there mailbox could be implemented, Something should be done tho.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-08-2010, 12:07 AM
here is an idea shut down the del taco trial and make people pay a full months fee before they play... Then make Fully detailed vids / pic's / media to show people what its like. So the spammers only have 1 account to ban then when they spam they get band and there gone. Not oh no you band my 2 day del taco trial account what am i gona do now.. oh wait ive got another 999 of them so nvm. FFS

Also there system is lagging and struggling to handle the people they have and what do they do to fix this ? They offer free 2 day free trails to every1 who orders a drink in del taco ?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-08-2010, 12:23 AM
I have a great solution that really works well:

Other MMO's have an "Advice" tab to help out new players. It's not spammed, because of the range of the tab is lower than Local. And "Advice" tab would have to be a different colour, and can be blocked if people are sick of answering too many questions.

Being a new player here as well, I did notice the need for such measures, given the large learning curve that the game throws at you. Half of the screens have so much to them, that I also find myself asking how to use my screen tabs, and where to locate/use things, not to mention the learning curve with Bridge Officers alone... especially with the many abilities, and training options. I find the Bridge Officer uses a little too complicated.. and am in the mindset that some things in the game do need a LOT more simplification.