Lt. Commander
# 1 Hide and Seek is Broken
02-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I've been trying to do the hide and seek mission for over an hour and a half now and it's impossible. I went to the right system and shot some bad guys, then ran into a ship that needs dilythium crystals, so I have to gather 4 crystals from this nebula. The problem is there is an fleet of ships I can't take on by myself guarding the last crystal. I try to run in and snatch the crystals and run out but when I get close enough the "beam crystals aboard" button does not work. Getting blown up over and over and then going through a nebula at a snails pace over and over again looking for something that I can't even recognize on sight is no fun.

I'm level 4 and this is a level 3 mission. Yeah, maybe I outfit my ship wrong or did my skills wrong, but you can hardly blame me for that if that's the problem. I have no idea how skills or equipment effects combat actions because nobody took 2 minutes to write it down for us. I'm just throwing points around blindly. Bad documentation or no documentation breaks a game just as surely as a downed server.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Right when I was posting that the server disconnected me. I got disconnected two more times in about 5 or 10 minutes, then when I finally got in right I was in sector space. I went back to the paulson nebula and this time there were not as many ships there. I blew up the ones that were there and got the dilythium but now I don't know what's going on because my screen started rotating crazy while I was trying to beam the dilithium to the USS Valor. Now I didn't get any reward and the mission is still listed as unaccomplished.

Hell with it. I'm abandoning it. I spent easily 3 hours on this damn mission so far. It's not worth my time. If I have this kind of problem again tonight I'm uninstalling. Unfortunately, I doubt the store will give me a refund for the game, but I'll definitely give it a try.

Want to keep the million accounts you're bragging about, Cryptic? Try documenting something and try making sure missions don't break like this and make it so I don't get mission dialog boxes on top of my combat. There's nothing worse than being in the middle of a good fight and having to bat away some commander telling you what you need to do next, then when the combat is over you're lost. Also, I'm always searching for something and I'm not sure what it looks like. Give us some way to recognize what we're looking for. It doesn't have to be a huge blip on the map or anything, but something other than the float text we see if we happen to be looking in the right direction while we fly past it.

Also, give us a decent shortcut on the keyboard for autofire. My spacebar is starting to wear thin.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Mission is NOT!!! broken
02-08-2010, 01:04 AM
You just need to skill your self better and you might want to get another level(more points).
Your BO's are important to your success best skills I found s scramble sensors(AoeE enemy sensor jamming)
emergency power to sheilds(A absolute must have any ship any profession) and either science team (repair sheilds +extra shield points) or engineering team (repair hull +extra hull points)
Use disruptors and use a cruiser(more power)or sci cruiser(target subsystems)
I have soloed every mission since headstart (I am now a Commander 10.2 )
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2010, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by retlaw56 View Post
You just need to skill your self better and you might want to get another level(more points).)
How can I be expected to know how to skill myself better? There is no documentation on how skills relate directly to the actions I take. See my first post. Bad documentation breaks games, I don't care what game it is. Lets say you were a kid who never played monopoly before, and were given a board and pieces with no instructions. You might play with it, but you would not be playing monopoly, and if the game was fun or not would not be a function of how the creators made the pieces, it would be a function of your own inventiveness. That is, of course, assuming that you would play with it. I doubt that many people would play with it if they had no instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retlaw56 View Post
Your BO's are important to your success best skills I found s scramble sensors(AoeE enemy sensor jamming)
emergency power to sheilds(A absolute must have any ship any profession) and either science team (repair sheilds +extra shield points) or engineering team (repair hull +extra hull points)
Use disruptors and use a cruiser(more power)or sci cruiser(target subsystems)
I have soloed every mission since headstart (I am now a Commander 10.2 )
Your acronyms are meaningless to me. Stop being so lazy and type your words out.

I don't have the money for a new ship. I'm still using my starter light cruiser. I barely have enough money for new phasers. I had tachyon running and was using emergency power to shields, fire at will, all that.

The instance was definitely broken. If it wasn't then I wouldn't have been able to warp out and back again and only have to take on 3 bogeys at a time instead of 12.

Congratulations on making Commander, though.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2010, 02:04 AM
This is not a fleet, these are just mines... Approach carefully the spot, blow them, it is over...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2010, 02:47 AM
you are just another one of the people in zone chat, who are not willing to even read anything or trying something out on their own without quest helper. All the info can be found about items, skills ect in game through looking in your inventory or skills screen, and READING what it does. geez some people are so dense.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesort View Post
I've been trying to do the hide and seek mission for over an hour and a half now and it's impossible. I went to the right system and shot some bad guys, then ran into a ship that needs dilythium crystals, so I have to gather 4 crystals from this nebula. The problem is there is an fleet of ships I can't take on by myself guarding the last crystal. I try to run in and snatch the crystals and run out but when I get close enough the "beam crystals aboard" button does not work. Getting blown up over and over and then going through a nebula at a snails pace over and over again looking for something that I can't even recognize on sight is no fun.

I'm level 4 and this is a level 3 mission. Yeah, maybe I outfit my ship wrong or did my skills wrong, but you can hardly blame me for that if that's the problem. I have no idea how skills or equipment effects combat actions because nobody took 2 minutes to write it down for us. I'm just throwing points around blindly. Bad documentation or no documentation breaks a game just as surely as a downed server.
Hello! I just did this mission. I waited until I was level 5 to do it and it was easy! I suggest going and doing more missions that aren't from Admiral Quinn (he's a SADIST! ... just kidding) and try doing one of the missions for Sulu first.

Regarding combat... when you are close to an enemy ship and target it... check the little... bars or pips... on the enemy portrait. One bar means the ship is the smallest class (and therefore easiest to fight and destroy) and the more bars a ship has, the longer it will take to defeat. When you fly into a group of ships, attack the ships that are little first. This will stop them from hurting you quickly, and the larger ships will be the only thing left attacking you. You will have more time to take them down because you aren't being beaten up by everyone at once.

Skills... yes... they are super confusing. I read this... that at first, all the trees to put skills in are super generic and they don't majorly affect your gameplay.... only when you are higher rank do your skill points start making you more specialized.

So right now, your skill points can be spent like this...

Space combat... or Ground Combat....

Tactical team leader, science team... engineering team... those are ground... if you read the tooltips, they say this.

I put ALL my skill points into the two space weapon types first... energy and projectile. I did this with my science officer and with my tactical officer (I am leveling two characters at once). I did this because it supposedly makes those weapons better. Do I notice a big difference now? No. A little... yes. Then I chose warp core, then engineering. If I still have more points, they will go into ground combat training...

Until I reach Lieutenant Commander, I am just making sure whatever I start, I finish putting points into.... the maximum you can put into one Lieutenant skill tree is 9 points.

Someone mentioned BOs. Those are B ridge O fficers. These guys are the people should have received during some of Sulu's missions, and one from the tutorial. You need one of each kind, at first, so you can have three special powers on the ground... and three separate powers in space. The powers come with the Bridge Officers. You can level the Bridge Officers separately. They have Bridge Officer points. They don't use your skill points. You have to spend 50 BO points to increase one of their powers. I have noticed that power increases just reduce the amount of time between when you use the power and when you can use it again. The powers themselves don't seem to get stronger.

Ok... so good luck.

Also, that last dilithium mine you need to beam up crystals from? That's surrounded by mines, I think. Even if it is just an enemy fleet, just try some of my tips.

There are a couple more tips.... don't use "Full Impulse" all the way until you are within firing range... Full Impulse drains your ship's power... so weapons and shields are not working as well right after you disengage from Full Impulse. Give yourself about 2-3 kilometers for your ship to reroute power to your shields and weapons. Also make sure you check out your energy settings. If you lose shields quickly... boost power to those... if you aren't taking down the enemy's shields fast enough, boost power to weapons. Power changes aren't immediate... they take time to notice their effect.

ALSO. Click the ship icon in at the bottom of your screen if you lose power on one side of your shields.... that is the Distribute All Shield Power command.... it will take power from full shields and even it out over your depleted ones...

There are a bunch more tips but you have some good starting places now....

Damn I hope you check this... I have been typing for a while
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-09-2010, 12:26 PM
OH... also... you can't beam or scan things while you are being attacked! You have to not take any damage for the scan to complete!
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Since you are in your first ship and just starting out... a little advice:

Use broadsides! I see newbie ships all the time go blasting away with their fore weapons only, trying to constantly keep the enemy to the front. Fly in a lazy circle (i.e. half speed) and blast away with your phasers. When you want to use your torpedo, turn inwards just enough that the button lights up and you can fire.. then go back to circling.

If you can't keep your shields up, reinfoce them. You can do this by clicking on the shield that is going down. If this still isn't enough, rotate around so you are circling the other direction.

If your mission was truly bugged... drop it, get it again and retry.

And you cannot scan, beam or otherwise while you are being shot.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Just ran this tonight without any issues. However, I only encountered one cruiser guarding the crystals, so I'm wondering if the OP encountered the old auto-teaming bug that could give you team-sized spawns with no team in sight. I thought this had been fixed - I haven't encountered it since beta. But, then again, one of the first things I do with a new character is bring up the Social screen and make sure my team setting is "Closed" or "Always ask."

Best thing you can do is drop the mission, check your team settings, then pick it up again. I'm not certain, but I think this mission may be required for the Orion Sector Block storyline. I might be mistaken, though.

I really don't think it's an issue with skill points or ship load-out or technique. If you can do the Azura mission, you shouldn't have a problem with this one. Barring bugs, of course.