Lt. Commander
# 11
02-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
Starbase 39, in the Sierra system of Alpha Centari sells basic Mk III stuff.

I'd suggest bugging that the ship starts with Mk II stuff as well. Rather silly that the first thing we have to do after getting a new ship is replacing all its items.
Actually, if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. When you get your Miranda, its gear is "standard issue." There then are two upgrade steps you can take (Mk I and II). When you get to Lt Cmdr you get a free set of Mk II stuff and can upgrade two steps (Mk III and IV), and so on.

@ the OP: I kept my Mk II gear and did Tier 2 exploration missions for Mk IV gear, pretty much bypassing any need to purchase any Mk III stuff (I did slot drops if their stats warranted).
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland9147 View Post
Is there anywhere to buy Mk IV stuff with credits instead?
short answer ... no

if you want to always have the best stuff posible you will need to buy everything you see as important enough to get after getting the new ship (in this case mark III) and then replace it with the higher things when you loot or get them as reward or badges.. the system works fine if you ask me...
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etril
short answer ... no

if you want to always have the best stuff posible you will need to buy everything you see as important enough to get after getting the new ship (in this case mark III) and then replace it with the higher things when you loot or get them as reward or badges.. the system works fine if you ask me...
Okay, thank you. I've purchased Mk III items in every area since hitting Lieutenant Commander and I will continue to upgrade as I loot/use badges for Mk IV stuff. Thanks for clearing that up.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland9147 View Post
Okay, thank you. I've purchased Mk III items in every area since hitting Lieutenant Commander and I will continue to upgrade as I loot/use badges for Mk IV stuff. Thanks for clearing that up.
Check the exchange if you have spare $$$ - prices vary wildly.