Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Unless you're paying me money I'm going to type whatever I want. It's up to your brain to interpret it.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
whomst
This is an awesome word. I think I need to start using it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drage View Post
People who can't get their, they're, and there correct should be sent back to 3rd grade.
"no child left behind"

Leads to this sort of ******** being propagated out into the world.

Life is full of failure. That these kids weren't allowed to FAIL lead to them thinking everything will be given to them simply for showing up.

Which IS NOT THE CASE.

Lt. Commander
# 24
02-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
So don't give them the job, and tell them why you didn't give them the job. They'll feel like an idiot and probably stop writing letters of interest like a 14-year-old.

Who's to say they're wrong, or even ignorant? Perhaps that's a new, emerging form of slang. And I've personally never heard that from anyone over the age of 18.

The English language has always been changing faster than the generation gap. It's called colloquialisms and slang. It's been around a lot longer than you or I have. And it doesn't herald the end of the human race (although I suspect you were being glib there). It's just kids being kids. Or adults who are kids at heart being adults who are kids at heart. It certainly isn't harmful.
I wholeheartedly agree with you that the "el oh el" criticism isn't a fair one. That's simply us saying our old slang was better than these young whipper snapper's slang. "El Oh El" drives me bonkers, I admit. But I also admit that it's just me being an old grump. It's not better or worse than, "Groovy, man. Groovy" or "Oh, snap," or laughing exactly like the bully on the Simpons. The "El oh El" and "Oh Em Gee" sounds stupid to us because we're crotchety. It's the same as saying Spongebob is a ridiculous cartoon and was no where nearly as sophisticated as the stuff we had growing up, like He-Man.

As for the resume argument, I tend to agree that it's a problem. I'm in charge of hiring where I work, and the amount of resumes that have "lol" ending sentences, or no punctuation, or smiley's is getting to be very common. Maybe it's just my pool of applicants, but it's getting to be very difficult for me to find people that can actually tell the difference between "Their, there, and they're." I supervise people that send letters and emails to customers, and it's very important that these folks don't use internet slang. Customers can latch on to something like that and immediately make a decision about the professionalism of the company.

And I can tell you from experience, it's getting more difficult by the month to get reps to stop writing by internet standards.

So I agree that the forums are for communication, and the communication is fine with or without bad grammar. However, I also think it's innaccurate to act like the digital age isn't negatively impacting our language. In my anecdotal experience, it most definitely does have an impact.

Honestly, I think it feels like a losing battle. Sometimes I think the language is actually evolving, and soon things like grammar and spelling will be completely extinct.

Of course, to be honest, I'm not really sure there's a point to it anyway, so maybe that's not a bad thing.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-08-2010, 03:15 AM
Uneducated people bother me. I can't tell you why, maybe its because I'm a horrible snob. But in this country there is a growing tendency among young people to wear stupidity and ignorance like a badge of honour. Somehow it has become "cool" to be a complete half-wit.

While grammar and spelling are personal bug-bears of mine I am fully aware that mine is seldom perfect. One of the quirks of pedantry is that it often goes hand-in-hand with hypocrisy. Such is my lot. I would point out that in my case I do not consider it to be entirely voluntary. It borders on an obsessive condition so I apologise in advance.

What troubles me about internet language is that young peolple especially are going through life under the assumption that "if they understand you its good enough". Now more and more college courses are forgoing the marking of assignments for spelling and grammar to a large degree, and the overal standards for the use of our language is slipping irreperably towards a language I like to call "Dribblegruntish", wherein speakers gesticulate wildly whilst moaning, grunting, dribbling and making obscene noises, all the while sounding like they have lost control of their facial muscles. Perhaps if more internet forums and games paid closer attention to things such as punctuation and grammar it would set a better example for these young people.

But truthfully I have to accept that the way we did things when I was at school is not necessarily the correct way now. Its hard enough keeping these young people in education, without forcing them to endure lessons that many of them are simply not intelligent enough to understand. We have been blessed, in my oppinion, with a relatively mature and well educated community here. Perhaps it is a little arrogant and indeed rude of us to constantly point out to some of our members that we are both better educated and more intelligent than they are?

And apart from all of that, a person's upbringing and education background seem to count for very little these days. Time was that if someone were told that I was studying for my second degree they would be impressed. I value education above all else. I strive constantly to know more, to understand more. But I feel I may well be in the minority. This to me is very sad, but again, it doesnt make me right.

Finally, I would like to point out that it is our right as forum subscribers to correct other peoples' posts at will. As long as we are not being offensive and stay on topic we are quite within our rights to carry on pointing out to people where they have made mistakes.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-08-2010, 03:35 AM
Um awsome link but it's completly wrong on one matter.

You Americans use a different English then us Canadians.

So

Weird = American

Wierd = Canadian

I see an American made that site.

Other then that awsome link.

And yes I did the research.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatherworldians View Post
Um awsome link but it's completly wrong on one matter.

You Americans use a different English then us Canadians.

So

Weird = American

Wierd = Canadian

I see an American made that site.

Other then that awsome link.

And yes I did the research.
Hmm, well I'm British and we too spell it "weird" and I can't find a single online dictionary that spells it "wierd" so I'm sorry but I think it's just you. Any other Canadians care to weigh in?

Cheers.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Actually, I was making a point. He probably understood every word of what I said, even though I made a point of using the egregious misspellings listed in that article. I do think that the whole "go back to English class," "you're an idiot for having imperfect spelling and grammar" thing is extremely pretentious.

I have near-perfect spelling and grammar myself, and I have no problem understanding posts that are MUCH worse than the one I made earlier in this thread.

Quit *****ing about other peoples' spelling and grammar when you can still understand what they're trying to say. It's not THAT important, and it's just plain rude to do so.
I was amused by your first post

I am also a bit relieved and disappointed as I was expecting this to be some sort of post about the use of extra, unneeded "u's" such as colour instead of color :p rather "then" a post about true misspellings that a lot of people do without intending to.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotmagnet
I was amused by your first post

I am also a bit relieved and disappointed as I was expecting this to be some sort of post about the use of extra, unneeded "u's" such as colour instead of color :p rather "then" a post about true misspellings that a lot of people do without intending to.
How very dare you, sir. Extra u's indeed.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-08-2010, 02:50 PM
poop spelt backwards is dog.