Lt. Commander
# 1 Tired of STO Gold/Energy SPAM!
02-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Everyday I've played STO I've had 3-4 STO gold spam mails. I'm getting tired of deleting them. Is it about time cryptic goes after these websites?

Does anyone else have this problem?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2010, 06:00 AM
Go after them and do what?

all mmo's have this problem it's not a simple situation to deal with. And it's not like they can sue either.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2010, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hine62 View Post
Everyday I've played STO I've had 3-4 STO gold spam mails. I'm getting tired of deleting them. Is it about time cryptic goes after these websites?

Does anyone else have this problem?
We all got that problem, but the issue is that these people operate from China and Korea mainly, and it is not easy to go after them there. And to remove the issue with account screening, in game screening etc, would restrict the game so much i think it would make it a lot worse to play.

Its a age old problem that all MMO's have, and i think the person that comes up with a system that can remove them without impacting the player would become a really rich person.

I hope there is something they can do, but short of removing the exchange, never allow mail with items or energy credits, no trading between players and no chat, there is little else that can be done.

I am not knocking you here, just trying to answer the question.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2010, 06:09 AM
easiest way would be to add a "report goldspam" button in the mail system
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2010, 06:16 AM
We all have spam filter in our email accounts...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2010, 06:18 AM
I'm tired of threads about it tbh.

Just alias /ignore_spammer and get on with pew!pew!lazorz
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2010, 06:26 AM
The community can help with the problem by not making rediculas amounts of EC required to bye items from the exchange (the only place you need really need to spend EC). 20+ x the value listed it the item discription is nuts!

Take away the demand for EC and you make the selling of it unprofitable.

Cryptic has said they will ban account that they can prove have used gold sellers, but proving it can be a problem.

I'm not sure i like the following idea my self, but here goes anyway; Cryptic could offer Energy Credits in the C-Store, say 500 points (~$6.50 I think) for 100K. This would under cut the spammers (they seam to be advertising at $15-$20 for 100K) and , again, make selling EC unprofitable
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegger View Post
The community can help with the problem by not making rediculas amounts of EC required to bye items from the exchange (the only place you need really need to spend EC). 20+ x the value listed it the item discription is nuts!
Many people list goods at reasonable prices; unfortunately, until a "sort by cost" function is implemented, you have to wade through pages of massively overpriced stuff to find it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-08-2010, 06:30 AM
There is only 1 cure for goldspammers. Slap your stupid friend that is buying from them.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-08-2010, 06:32 AM
If you right click on the "nick" in the nick@handle and select report as spam, the GM's will get a flagging of the account for a checkup