Lt. Commander
# 1 Tether?
02-05-2010, 05:57 AM
I know it is illegal in the US but it is perfectly legal practice in Canada.
During the summer, I spend my entire time at my cottage. Now, I hate the outdoors; it is dirty and has lots of bugs. But I bought it for my daughter. Where I bought my cottage I have better cell receptioni than anywhere else I have seen.
Anyways, last year, I bought a system and hooked it up to my iphone and played Wow at the cottage in the middle of knowwhere. The only thing I couldn't do was PVP, but all the solo stuff was cool.

Does STO have similar bandwidth requirements as Wow? Is it tetherable?

You aren't downloading all the characters you meet. You download the "string", your graphics card and processor. Also, you seem to 'download' many of the episodes to your computer.
Anyone venture a guess?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 12:37 PM
You are talking about 'tethering' your system to a cell phone and using it as a network connection correct?

Why would you think this is illegal in the states? I am able to use my blackberry as a modem, costs a little extra and I have not tried it yet -- but as far as I know it is not illegal.

I have not monitored the bandwidth at home while playing STO. I was curious about this as well.

EDIT: it seems it is NOT illegal, just not supported by AT&T for the iFoney, and they *could* take action against you from there side -- i.e. suspend/cancel/who knows. In any case -- my provider is sprint and it is most certainly allowed, for a fee of course.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Not being americain, I am not sure.
From everything I have once read, it wad because one of your companies had a monopoly in sat Internet so cell companies had to enforce not allowing tethering cells.

Maybe what I read is wrong. Either way, nobody has info on if sto uses more bandwidth than wow or not? Or at least whether tethering is possible? Or at least has numbers?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Does the middle of nowhere have 3G? If so, it should probably work (if the latency isn't bad). Patching would be painful though.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 02:47 PM
3G is pretty close to DSL speed (1.5mb by 300kb) so it should be fine I'd think. Assuming the service in your area is decent.

Also, tethering isnt illegal.. its just against the EULA you have with your wireless company.. (though there are some that allow it nowdays)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Does the middle of nowhere have 3G? If so, it should probably work (if the latency isn't bad). Patching would be painful though.
Thanks for info. No, I woulnd't patch. And yes, middle of absolute knowhere has 3g oddly enough.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Just popping in to assure you of this...

If you have good 3G (Verizon Rev-A anyone?) service, the game runs *wonderfully*
I use it at work a ton, even done Fleet Actions while on it, no probs.
Bandwidth usage is almost identical to WoW in my experience i.e. damn near nothing unless you're around a ton of people who are all doing things.

You *will* get lag spikes though, a bit of rubberbanding occasionally, but if you played WoW on it then you know this.

Refer to outrider's post regarding legality.

Edit: I also patch at work, but only those little minipatch/bugfixes that keep going out, and my 3G interwebs average download speed is around 2.5 megabit, same as mid-level DSL.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-06-2010, 02:20 PM
i work for a phone company here in the uk and i have had a couple of customers who have used there iphones to play this and they have reported no problems (apart from costs lol).
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Yeah, I have 6 gigs of download that I can use per month, no cost.
I think in the past year, I have used 6 gigs. So I am not hurting.

Thank you all for the info, I know what I am going to do when everyone else is playing in the mud.