Lt. Commander
Why not start the tutorial on earth and starfleet academy? It would be more authentic like in the series, movies etc.?! Maybe you could train ground and space combat in the simulator (with Kobayashi Maru Test etc. ) After that you could be transported to earth space dock and the Borg appear... Why is such an important place like earth and academy left behind?

What do you think?

Edit: new Idea for Tutorial: First you are only a trainee and maybe a bridge officer. After doing a few things under the command of another captain he dies (during a Borg battle etc.) and you become the captain of the ship! - Tutorial Done -
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2010, 06:13 AM
Probably it'll get added at a later date, but yes starting on Earth in the starfleet academy would make a LOT more sence then being thrown on a derelict ship.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2010, 06:37 AM
I would not imagine a cadet leaving the academy would be given command so soon whereas your character excels in dealing with the tutorial experience, and so earns the seat.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenaka
I would not imagine a cadet leaving the academy would be given command so soon whereas your character excels in dealing with the tutorial experience, and so earns the seat.
The game could work with cross-fades like "5 years later" and so on.. ? Indeed it would be a better fit in. Whatever, EVERYONE has started his career in the academy! Why should STO disregard this?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2010, 06:51 AM
A better solution is that after the tutorial segment, you have to go to the Academy prior to going to Earthdock. Someone high up wants to speak with you about your accomplishments etc and sends you to see the folks at Earthdock.

The storyline could also bring you back to the Academy for your promotion ceremonies.

As for starting out there, it wouldn't work in the current tutorial unless you were naturally gifted like Kirk.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2010, 07:10 AM
I think the tutorial works fine as is and really think there are better places to put their efforts than fixing something that isn't broken.

I would love to see the Academy in the game, but I would rather have it added as a social and mission hub rather than just part of the tutorial.

Maybe one day we could beam down to the Academy to interview new Bridge Officer Candidates.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2010, 07:12 AM
It's an in media res start like Star Wars...but it would be cool to have an academy you could tool around in first, THEN do the '5 years later' fade to the current tutorial.

I hope they are working on end game content though more than I hope they do this.