Lt. Commander
# 11
02-08-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm rather proud. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Of course, should I encounter a Fed in PvP using a bat'leth, I'm going after them first. But, hey, they at least realize where the good stuff is.

Same thing goes with Feds who use disrupters instead of phasers. They are basically wannabe Klingons. They just lack the intestinal fortitude to make the final jump.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid
ISame thing goes with Feds who use disrupters instead of phasers. They are basically wannabe Klingons. They just lack the intestinal fortitude to make the final jump.
could also say that from klingon players using federation phasers?, espeically in space combat
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeh86 View Post
I remember an Episode on DS9 where Quark defeats a Klingon in a 1v1 sparring match using Bat'leths...
[nerd]

Hah. Technically it was Worf who won. He was using some sort of device that allowed him to use Quarks body as a puppet. There was a brief moment where the device stopped working, but Quark stalled and Dax brought the device back online so Worf /Quark could finish the fight.

[/nerd]

I see youre point though.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yargnit View Post
I don't have an issue with this in general, but one person earlier tonight was using this in a combination that was a boarderline exploit, as follows;

They made a Fed Klingon, gave them a name that made you think they were Klingon side, dressed their uniform in a way that minimized the ability to see that it wasn't a Klingon uniform, and ran around using a Bat'leth like they were a Klingon player.

IMO this clearly was an attempt to cheat their opponents into thinking they'd been hit by a ground equivalent of Scramble Sensors and thus not attack them thinkig they were friendlies who were simply conning incorrectly on the UI.
I may be wrong about this since I don't play Klingons, but isn't the name tag a different color on enemy faction characters, both players and NPCs?
I know that when I see enemies their name tag is orange while friendlies are blue. Wouldn't this have been a huge clue that it was an enemy???
And besides that, I'm pretty sure that Scramble Sensors only works on NPC opponents and not on the players.
/DOH!
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Plus after it happens once....you should be able to recognize it and remember.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yargnit View Post
I don't have an issue with this in general, but one person earlier tonight was using this in a combination that was a boarderline exploit, as follows;

They made a Fed Klingon, gave them a name that made you think they were Klingon side, dressed their uniform in a way that minimized the ability to see that it wasn't a Klingon uniform, and ran around using a Bat'leth like they were a Klingon player.
Heh, you see plenty of this on the Klingon side as well -- mostly "aliens" that look and dress an awful lot like a Federation player.

IMO it does a lot more to confuse your own team than the enemy. Most enemies are just auto-targeting anything that moves.

In fact, I have a rule of thumb:

* Characters that are really short are usually hyperactive people who think they are good at PvP, but aren't.
* Characters that look like the other team are people who think they're sneaky but mostly just aren't that bright.
* Characters that look like giant headed aliens or something else silly will probably quit inside the first month.

I don't know how much interest this game can hold for someone who doesn't like Star Trek enough to look the part.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-08-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm a Federation Klingon who specializes in melee combat with a bat'leth. The Empire has lost it's way in this witch hunt for the Undine!

We now attack weakened foes and conquer them as if we were Romulans! This is not honor!
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
* Characters that are really short are usually hyperactive people who think they are good at PvP, but aren't.
Hey Slamz, go stand in that corner over there so I can lock you in with my cover shield.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-08-2010, 08:41 AM
PvP in STO is very very very unrealistic. Physics basically goes to the wayside. Here's an example:

A two foot tall character, carrying a weapon that is bigger than they are some how manage to hit a six foot tall character in the head with the butt of their weapon.

I have three real metal batleths in my house. I've practiced a bit with them and they are very difficult to wield. Now, I can understand a Klingon, who has trained all his life, would be able to use it. But a Feddie hasn't had the training, they shouldn't be able to just pick on up and suddenly become an expert. Especially the Sciene and Engineering officers, they don't have the time to do combat training at the Starfleet Academy because they spend all their time learning how to operate starships.

MMOs are simply cookie cutter these days, and STO is just another cookie cutter MMO with Star Trek graphics. It's a fun game, but it's got no basis in reality (be in ours or the Star Trek one).
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurgh View Post
MMOs are simply cookie cutter these days, and STO is just another cookie cutter MMO with Star Trek graphics. It's a fun game, but it's got no basis in reality (be in ours or the Star Trek one).
I all fairness, if it was real, it would be a simulator, not a game. No MMO anywhere, ever, has been real. If it was, it wouldn't be fun. Then, we wouldn't have Star Trek would we? Star Trek isn't real. Even Second Life, which is as real as it gets, isn't real.

If you want real, go outside or go to work. I get enough "real" as it is.