Lt. Commander
When spending Skill points, can you spend the points on skills from lower tiers, or do you need to spend all your points on the current tier to open the next one?

In game it sounds like all you need to do is spend the skill points to open up the higher tiers, and it doesnt matter where you spend them. But when I've been using character builder programs, they wont let you access a higher tier without spending X points on the tier your on.

I'm asking because I'd like to spend more points on tier 2 and 3 skills, and less on tier 4, but I still want to open up tier 5
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberNova
When spending Skill points, can you spend the points on skills from lower tiers, or do you need to spend all your points on the current tier to open the next one?

In game it sounds like all you need to do is spend the skill points to open up the higher tiers, and it doesnt matter where you spend them. But when I've been using character builder programs, they wont let you access a higher tier without spending X points on the tier your on.

I'm asking because I'd like to spend more points on tier 2 and 3 skills, and less on tier 4, but I still want to open up tier 5
no you dont have to spent them to the current ranks skill, what you need is to spent a specific value of skill points but how you spent it depends on you.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberNova

The character builder plans assume that you would have gotten any of the lower tier points you need, and therefore don't increment in points outside of your current tier. You *CAN* still access higher tiers by spending points on lower tiers then your current, even in the builders, but the math will look a little off in them. It works fine with no problems in-game.

However, bonuses relating to skills do tend to increase rapidly as you access new tiers (9 ranks in a T1 skill gives you a 18 point bonus, whereas in later tiers it can be 30+ or even 40 point bonuses for specializing), so there's less and less benefit to each tier below the current.

...that said, if you don't want anything else in your current tier, it's a great way to fill holes. :3