Lt. Commander
# 21
02-09-2010, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Adam_Smith
As a person who likes to play single player, I like the fact that you play the game as single-player but occassionally you are thrown into mutli-player (open instances). Unlike other MMO's you need to go out and find someone to help.
Well... some mmo's have been reaaaaaaally ****ing me off. Spending 40 minutes of my evening shouting /zone Looking for Group <insert class / level> to do <insert dungeon / instance / quest> ... was NOT amusing.

The instances allow you to play solo if you want; or in a group... and the amount of NPC scales. So it's all good. But the instances also have a side effect on the community; sometimes shouting for hours to get a group makes you team with the same people every day; and you form friendships with them; then you dont need to shout; everyone know that at 7PM they'll connect and gather to go hunt some place.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hivewasp View Post
Can't people do what they want without always having to justify themselves or try to convince others that they're right?
No. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second timah
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-09-2010, 02:17 AM
I like the game. I like the space combat, I love the quests.

I dislike the fact that it is INCOMPLETE AND BUGGY AND EXPLOITABLE AS ALL HELL and that they expect me to pay a monthly fee for this garbage.

Other than that... I love it!

Blink Cap Rank 5
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-09-2010, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
Below is why I like the game (haters keep your nose out this is my opinion and I really couldn’t give a rats ass about your sarcastic drivel – constructive criticism welcome however):

• I like the flexibility – you can be as casual or dedicated as you like with STO. Want an essentially online arcade game? You can have it. Want a much more immersive and interactive experience? Through fleets and the community you can have that too. In some MMOs, unless you devote your life to it, you are going to be slaughtered every time you stick your little toe into PVP.
• No sense of elitism – many of the poster’s on the forum who routinely log in for no other reason than to troll do so because they are used to oodles of technical garbage (EVE) which they can spend their lives getting to know and therefore feel superior to everyone else. These people find exploits through months of study and actively use them to gank/ruin other players.
• Endless possibility with an incredibly rich IP – only Star Wars could rival Trek for possibilities and even this does not have the depth of history that Trek has – riding the wormhole to the delta quadrant anyone?
• Servers – I have had an incredibly smooth experience with the servers thus far (others have suffered I’m sure but I can only go on my experience). Since game launch I have had one single day when I experienced lots of lag and disconnects.
• Space combat is deliciously strategic, especially in pvp.
• Fleet/Guild system – I am lucky enough to have joined a good fleet from the very beginning which is active and helpful – this adds much to the experience and is significantly more fun that flying through the cold of space on your own.
• Missions that do not require me to go back to the quest giver to resolve them – subspace communications ftw!
• Depth and variety of weapon systems and gear.
• Faithfulness to the IP and the sweet little touches like Tribbles and Klingon’s reactions to them!
• In my opinion the game looks great in space (needs some work on the ground though)
• The inclusion of both ground and vehicle based combat – pretty revolutionary I think (at least for me) for an MMORPG

You live in a very special world Wish I could live there too. Damn reality... You sound just like a lib. Hate anyone that doesnt agree with me!
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-09-2010, 02:27 AM
I liked the space combat best, until I realised this game rewards you for dying and has no difficulty in it. So Icancelled my game. I got the money back today. Going to spend it on something harder, like challenging a man without arms to a ping pong match.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-09-2010, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieCo View Post
You live in a very special world Wish I could live there too. Damn reality... You sound just like a lib. Hate anyone that doesnt agree with me!
/yawn - great post - imagine what you could have been doing with the 60 seconds it took to bother. Seriously, you must have SOMTHING better to do? No? err, ok - sorry about that.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-09-2010, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incom View Post
I liked the space combat best, until I realised this game rewards you for dying and has no difficulty in it. So Icancelled my game. I got the money back today. Going to spend it on something harder, like challenging a man without arms to a ping pong match.
Good... bye.

Agreed on difficulty; its too easy. But I don't get the "reward" for dying. Seriously; it adds nothing to the challenge; it only makes you more reluctant to die; because you would suffer a money sink of some sort. Which in itself is a tiny timesink. Not a challenge.

Now if you want; you can try EVE or Pirates of the Burning Sea; ... in both cases when you die you lose a lot more. POTBS also has a nice ship combat system.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-09-2010, 03:22 AM
Threads getting a little hi-jacked here with all this talk about other games. This is supposed to be about what people like about STO.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-09-2010, 03:45 AM
The game is fun for the most part. So I enjoy it, for the most part.

The game has potental. After the first few months when subscriptions drop and content is added we may have a good game here. I look forward to making a Klingon alt if they ever get enough PvE. I also love the possibility of perhaps a playble Romulan faction in the future.

At the rate I seem to play, and assuming each faction gets about the same amount of PvE, 3 factions would last me 8 - 9 months. So unless end game is really good I don't see myself being here long term. Just a nice break from palying more hardcore MMOs (you know, the ones where you actually have to be decent at the game to keep from getting laughed out of a guild or pickup group).
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-09-2010, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaktak
After seeing all the typical "I'm cancelling my account, and why" threads you see on these forums. Which is fairly typical of just about every MMO a few weeks after release. I'd felt the urge to make this thread which instead of trying to get attention about being a sourpuss. Maybe we can get some good stuff here on the forums instead, in this sea of whine, and negativity.

The question is simple.

What about STO have you found you like the best? Why is it you like this game?

For me, I find the PVP fun as hell, and very addictive. And with the promises of more content heading our way in the near future, I have high hopes we here are in a future epic title as it takes it's first baby steps. Something about this game makes me think this could be a long ride.
Well I used to play wow for 2 and a half years but quite when they put up level 80 and I realized i would have to do the whole level/gear brind all over again and I was like screw it I want something new. I have tried out warhammer online. I got myself a level 25 ork. I think that game is fun and well put together, but honestly I think wow does the pvp better; however warhammer does make pvp like pve and put in other aspects such as you have to use battering rams to take keeps and can use burning oil to defend keeps which is inovative.

I dropped warhammer for sto online because I'm a star trek nerd and love all the shows. I think the graphics in the game can be really good such as in space stations, or looking at planets. Other times its not as good such as looking at small asteriods or ships. I like the ground pvp the most in the game much more than the ship pvp which I really don't like much at all. However, the ground pvp targeting system could use alot of improvment because it gets really anoying facing walls and beening turned in the wrong direction all the time.

I am more than happy to be in the star trek world. Thats what I like about the game the most. I would really like the game to have more story in it. For example all missions involve either scanning something or fighting somthing thats it. If its a story mission you scan more things and kill more things. One of the things that makes star trek fun is the idea of discovery and seeking out new life, not scanning things and killing things.