Lt. Commander
Hello all,

To start, I would like to say that if there is a help section, I did not find one so sorry for posting in the wrong place and if you could kindly move me that would be great.

Ok, now that my disclaimer is done, here goes. First off, I am new to MMO games and I got STO here a day or two ago. Now, I am confused as how to go about getting money (skill credits?) in order to buy ship upgrades, or get bridge officers, etc... It seems all I can do for now is go around the first sector block and attack Klingon forces that have sprung up. I've probably played a total of a few hrs so I may just gotten lost. I could use any tips or advice possible though.

From what I've seen, STO is pretty good. I am a huge trekkie and surprised that this game works as well as it does on my laptop. but I could use some help getting started. Please and thank you!

See you in the galaxy,

Air_Force_Man12
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Energy Credits you can get from selling loot drops, either at a shop, or to your replicator. You can also sell stuff on the exchange. This is what you use to buy stuff off the exchange and from some shops.

Merits you get as mission rewards, and these are what you use to buy bridge officers, and thier powers, and to promote them.

Other shops sell gear for badges, which you can get from exploration missions or PvP (depending on the type of badge you need).
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2010, 07:28 PM
So energy credits are what get you ship upgrades and such? And you can only get them from selling dropped items. That seems like it would take a long time.

Ok, so I have finished a couple of little assignments by Sulu to go attack klingons that were in the sector. How do I figure out how many energy credits and merits I currently have and where can I find bridge officers.

I am currently docked at Earth Space dock the last time I logged off, so I'm sure there is a place there...
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Force_Man12 View Post
So energy credits are what get you ship upgrades and such? And you can only get them from selling dropped items. That seems like it would take a long time.

Ok, so I have finished a couple of little assignments by Sulu to go attack klingons that were in the sector. How do I figure out how many energy credits and merits I currently have and where can I find bridge officers.

I am currently docked at Earth Space dock the last time I logged off, so I'm sure there is a place there...
Energy credits are actually easy to get.

Your inventory will list energy and merits.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Cool, thanks for the help. Any tips or advice to get started?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Force_Man12 View Post
Cool, thanks for the help. Any tips or advice to get started?
Just start doing Admiral Quinn's missions and the patrol missions. You don't particularly need to buy any gear right out of the gate, and you get some decent gear as quest rewards.

The "Defend Sector X" are kind of a waste of time. After having done them in Closed and Open Beta, I've decided to not do them now, and I haven't lost anything because of it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2010, 08:00 PM
The exlporation badges you get from the cluster quests can get you items in the shipyard as well. Just run the repeatable quest a few times and you can get whatever you need for your ship. It is up the ramp at the shipyard where you can upgrade your ship when you rank up.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Alright, thanks guys. This may get me a good start.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylan
The exlporation badges you get from the cluster quests can get you items in the shipyard as well. It is up the ramp at the shipyard where you can upgrade your ship when you rank up.
Ah excelent was wondering where the ship vendors were.
Knew there was both personal and ship equipment for PvP medals, but had only seen the middle guys at earth space dock for badges.