Lt. Commander
# 1 Badge Consolidation
02-07-2010, 06:03 AM
I would personally like to see all badges become consolidated into one, single currency.

Right now we have 5 different badges for exploration as well as 5 different badges for PVP tacked on top of merits and credits. We also currently have no way of determining how many of these 10 different badges we possess at any given time without standing in front of a vendor that actually takes them.

Old badges also become useless once you move beyond that tier and you can't really get rid of them, you'll always have an odd number of them just sitting there unused and that kind of bugs me too having random amounts of 8 types of currency I will never use again (since I only use the top two). Exploration and PVP rewards are identical from what i've seen, only the cost is different, so just consolidate them.

I think the easiest solution is simply to condense them all into one badge type and have it display beside merits and energy credits in your inventory window and call it a day.

As for the different tiers, just increase the number.

Lieutenant level PVP and Exploration could award say 50 badges (just a roundabout number for example's sake).

LTC level PVP and Exploration could award 100 badges.

CDR level PVP and Exploration could award 200 badges.

Captain level Exploration and PVP could award 400 badges.

Admiral level Exploration and PVP could award 800 badges.

Then simply have the prices scale so that they always cost the same thing. Phaser Array MK II could cost 50 badges, MK IV would cost 100 badges, MK VI 200 badges, MK VIII 400 badges, MK X 800 badges.

The cost within each tier would be exactly the same as they are now, the only difference is theres only one currency to deal with instead of TEN SEPERATE BADGES.

Why make MK II cost 70 Exploration 1st Order badges then MK IV cost 70 2nd Order badges with exploration missions rewarding about 70 for each respective level range? It is unintuitive. It doesn't make sense.

By consolidating the badges, it would make any older badges you'd farmed up remain useful, albeit at a harshly diminished value once you reach next tier, but at least they would count for something instead of sitting at random values and never touched again. They would instead just give you a slight boost stepping into your next tier and consolidating badges into a simple, single value that could easily be displayed in a commonplace window such as inventory beside your merits.

Now the numbers can be tweaked however the devs feel be it Tier 1 is 50 and Tier 2 is 100 or anything as different as Tier 1 is 50 and tier 2 is 500. However steep they want that penalty to be, it doesn't really matter, because at least they will get some benefit from outdated ones.

And theres no danger of anyone actually trying to farm lower level exploration missions because not only is the reward (relatively) greatly diminished from doing something of your own level, but the difficulty really isn't that much different anyway. It makes it maybe twice as easy for like 6% of the reward, no one would do it.

However, for people doing pvp and exploration at their own level, their rate of acquiring items remains unchanged, because the costs and badge gains would scale together to continue to reward you the same amount at any level you're currently at, but significantly less for trying to do easier things for equal level rewards.

I tried to spell it out and explain it a little more because I wanted to make sure everyone understands and realizes that this isn't like a nerf or anything.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysRemember
We also currently have no way of determining how many of these 10 different badges we possess at any given time without standing in front of a vendor that actually takes them.
Press U to open your status page and click on progress on the left and it will list your badges/medals