Lt. Commander
You people do realize that the ship you give to your name is the official name registered on the hull? The -X suffixed do NOT go on the ship name, but on the ship registry number. So it's "U.S.S Whatever, NCC-YYYYYY-X".

Take a close look at the hull of the Enterprise-D and see if it's written USS Enterprise-D.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2010, 12:47 PM
have you tried this at all? i have, it doesnt work, you cant have 2 ships with the same even with different registrys, at least by my experience with the game
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2010, 12:48 PM
I often wondered why people were doing that myself, but I never let it bother me. I figured they just preferred to do it that way.

But you're right, the registry number is what gets the prefix, not the name.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenetor View Post
have you tried this at all? i have, it doesnt work, you cant have 2 ships with the same even with different registrys, at least by my experience with the game
I decommission my old ship by renaming it, as I won't be flying it anymore anyhow.
Then I tack a letter into the box provided on the new ship.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2010, 12:49 PM
I thought names wernt unique at all, maybe they are within a player's career. I know I'm not the only one out there with Trafalgar so you defo can with other players.

But yes, seriously, nothing goes on the ships name, just the registry number.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2010, 12:50 PM
he is right but you have to use a different name, now that I know it annoys the purists I may have to name my ship:

USS Name-A-2-34-901
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2010, 12:53 PM
I have two ships named Massachussetts one with a big giant B on the end even though the B is in the registry as well.

It sucks and needs to be fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Being a Trek fan, I understand what you are saying. However, in Star Trek ships are commonly referred to as the Enterprise-A, the Enterprise-D, etc., and both verbally and in print in official sources.

My wife wants to retain the name of her ship through various models as she progresses through the game, similar to the various iterations of the Enterprise. However, the game does not allow a single user to have the same name on more than one ship, even if changing the letter designation on the ID number (if I recall). So she will include the suffix on her ship's name to achieve the same result. She will not waste EC on changing the name of her old ships, which she may want to use again (if just for RP purposes) in the future.

While it may not be perfect in the strictest "letter of the lore" sense, it does indeed retain the spirit of the lore just fine.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
Being a Trek fan, I understand what you are saying. However, in Star Trek ships are commonly referred to as the Enterprise-A, the Enterprise-D, etc., and both verbally and in print in official sources.

My wife wants to retain the name of her ship through various models as she progresses through the game, similar to the various iterations of the Enterprise. However, the game does not allow a single user to have the same name on more than one ship, even if changing the letter designation on the ID number (if I recall). So she will include the suffix on her ship's name to achieve the same result. She will not waste EC on changing the name of her old ships, which she may want to use again (if just for RP purposes) in the future.

While it may not be perfect in the strictest "letter of the lore" sense, it does indeed retain the spirit of the lore just fine.
Agreed - justification for mine too.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBranagh
I thought names wernt unique at all, maybe they are within a player's career. I know I'm not the only one out there with Trafalgar so you defo can with other players.

But yes, seriously, nothing goes on the ships name, just the registry number.
Might have been my ship you saw there :p

I find it odd that other peaple can have the same ship name as you, but you cant have two ships with the same name.
Closed Thread