Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
I know a bit about the coding techniques which are used in MMOGs to solve the problem that the position of the player can be different serversided and clientsided. I know also that in several other MMOGs the server can accept the new player-position sent by the client in case of network lag.

In STO this is not the case. The server ignores a different position from the client and set the ship back to the last known position serversided. As a result we have this ugly and immersion-breaking "rubberbending" where mostly the sector space is affected.

Please devs, movement in sector space is uncritical regarding gameplay because there is no combat, so change your code in a way that the server accepts the new position from the client to prevent rubberbending.

I guess you can't solve this problem only with more and more hardware because you will always have lagspikes, in my eyes the only solution is to change the code as descibed.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2010, 11:50 AM
This will leave them wide open to speed hacks.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merls
This will leave them wide open to speed hacks.
/this

/10charEPSbypass

When you start 'catering to the client' so to speak in a situation like this all kinds of mess can pop-up.