Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
Being a Trek fan, I understand what you are saying. However, in Star Trek ships are commonly referred to as the Enterprise-A, the Enterprise-D, etc., and both verbally and in print in official sources.

My wife wants to retain the name of her ship through various models as she progresses through the game, similar to the various iterations of the Enterprise. However, the game does not allow a single user to have the same name on more than one ship, even if changing the letter designation on the ID number (if I recall). So she will include the suffix on her ship's name to achieve the same result. She will not waste EC on changing the name of her old ships, which she may want to use again (if just for RP purposes) in the future.

While it may not be perfect in the strictest "letter of the lore" sense, it does indeed retain the spirit of the lore just fine.
I don't see a problem with that, albeit it ain't something i'd do myself.

Just thought i'd say that because people get confused. Ships only get referred to as Whatever-X in a more informal way. Just trying to help :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-09-2010, 01:11 PM
to be honest i dont care. and you have to go out your way to look at another players number... so really it shouldnt affect anyone at all.

i done mine for the fun of it.

oh and also if you want the name your ship, the same throught the game. just change your previous (unused) ship and rename it. then rename your new one with the same name.

it works
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeleys
to be honest i dont care. and you have to go out your way to look at another players number... so really it shouldnt affect anyone at all.

i done mine for the fun of it.

oh and also if you want the name your ship, the same throught the game. just change your previous (unused) ship and rename it. then rename your new one with the same name.

it works
Yup, but as i said, there are those who don't know better
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo
Yup, but as i said, there are those who don't know better
yea lol, and reading my previous post. i think i need spelling lessons. ah well its what happens when you rush type :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
Being a Trek fan, I understand what you are saying. However, in Star Trek ships are commonly referred to as the Enterprise-A, the Enterprise-D, etc., and both verbally and in print in official sources.

My wife wants to retain the name of her ship through various models as she progresses through the game, similar to the various iterations of the Enterprise. However, the game does not allow a single user to have the same name on more than one ship, even if changing the letter designation on the ID number (if I recall). So she will include the suffix on her ship's name to achieve the same result. She will not waste EC on changing the name of her old ships, which she may want to use again (if just for RP purposes) in the future.

While it may not be perfect in the strictest "letter of the lore" sense, it does indeed retain the spirit of the lore just fine.
I agree. At least they are trying to be star-trekish. I'd rather see that then the USS Dilbert or the USS Homer Simpson.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
Being a Trek fan, I understand what you are saying. However, in Star Trek ships are commonly referred to as the Enterprise-A, the Enterprise-D, etc., and both verbally and in print in official sources.
Only when two ships with the same name are referenced, such as in;

TNG Episode Relics (LaForge specifies Enterprise D after Scotty mistakes it for being Kirk's Enterprise A)

TNG Episode Yesterday's Enterprise (Yar specifies Enterprise C after she names it Enterprise, Picard does the same, and after that it all degenerates as both crews mixes Enterprise and Enterprise C/D)

Star Trek Generations (Picard first says he's captain of the Enterprise, then specifies Enterprise D, then reverts to just Enterprise again)

Excepting these three instances, I've yet to see it happen. The ship is always referred to as just the "Enterprise".


Oh, and ships given the same name only rarely share the same registry number. As a good example - the USS Defiant.

The Defiant was seen, and named, as the NCC-1764 in TOS "A Tholian Web", and was a Constitution-class cruiser.
The same ship is also seen in ENT "In a mirror, darkly", registry number and name clearly visible in both cases.
Thus, the Defiant in DS9 should have been named 1764-X, but it was not. It was named the NX-74205.
After its destruction and replacement, the renamed Saġ Paolo should have at least kept the NCC-74205-A, but AGAIN it did not. The new registry number was NCC-75633.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JansanRuno
I agree. At least they are trying to be star-trekish. I'd rather see that then the USS Dilbert or the USS Homer Simpson.
Or USS Abandon Hope, USS FixTehBugs USS W1zard, USS Galactica, USS Odyssey (galaxy class no less), USS MINE MINE MINE, and so on..
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-09-2010, 01:26 PM
All my ships have X on the end of the reg, what business is this of yours exactly? pay my sub then you can dictate to me how I play
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I wanted ( and assumed I would be able) to keep the same name for my ship as I moved on. What's more frustrating is that I now have a ship with the name I've seen at least two other times (two different players)

Seriously - to go from the USS Ada Byron and the USS Persephone to the USS Denali and the USS Ruaha (now that one I do like and it's very unique)

Still I want Ada Byron back ...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerilynnS View Post
I wanted ( and assumed I would be able) to keep the same name for my ship as I moved on. What's more frustrating is that I now have a ship with the name I've seen at least two other times (two different players)

Seriously - to go from the USS Ada Byron and the USS Persephone to the USS Denali and the USS Ruaha (now that one I do like and it's very unique)

Still I want Ada Byron back ...
All my cruisers are named USS Chateau Royale. What i do is rename my former cruiser USS Chateau Royale1 (2, 3, 4..) before moving on.

What i usually see (and i do approach the camera to other players hulls) is people using the suffix on the name in lieu of the registry. So i've seen a USS Manord-D NCC-93724 on the hull of the ship.

Honestly it's none of my business, but i fail to see why people would want to do that if they knew the canon way. To me they either don't give a damn, or really don't know better.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:57 AM.