Lt. Commander
# 1 Changing ship names
02-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Can I change the names of my ships whenever I want? I have two ships now but I don't seem to be able to call them the same name (Knight). So I changed it to a different name, then decided I want to change again. But the names are greyed out now. Why is this?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2010, 09:16 AM
you have to pay to change it again.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgomm View Post
Can I change the names of my ships whenever I want? I have two ships now but I don't seem to be able to call them the same name (Knight). So I changed it to a different name, then decided I want to change again. But the names are greyed out now. Why is this?
You can't have 2 ships of the same name. Some people (like myself) got around this by putting a -A, -B, etc, after the name. Other discharge the ship that previously held the name and then apply the new one to their new ship.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Let me get this straight...A single player can't have two ships with the same name, but two different players can have ships with the same name? Where's the logic in that? Individual/unique registry numbers (NCC-whatever) could have taken care of any programming issues. I saw three ships with the same name last night, and it seemed pretty silly to me.

Oh well, add this to the "List of Things Not Terribly Well Thought Out In This Game..."
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Yeah I don't really get it either and voiced a similar complaint when I found out last week. But it's a pretty minor thing so I don't really care.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltec
you have to pay to change it again.
Just to add to the above quote, its charged in the game in the form of Energy Credits (not as an option via the C-Store). If I recall, it costs 3k energy credits to change your name after the first time.

You can change your name whilst in Sector Space, I don't think its possible to change it whilst on the ground (though it may also be possible if you're stood near the ship npcs that let you customise your ship, I'm not sure).
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Yeah i find it pretty stupid I want all my cruisers to have the same name but have the registry number change for each one. NCC/NX XXXXX -D/E

Yet you can't do it, so you spend a while thinking of a new name (bearing my mind all the posts of people complaining about silly names) then head out in your newly named ship only to see other people using the same name!

USS Eterprise NCC 1701-D Galaxy Class
USS Enerprise NCC 1701-E Sovereign Class

Star Trek Online - have a new name for every ship use.

I hope they'll change it, to my mind it's quite an integral part of Star Trek Lore
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-08-2010, 01:50 PM
it is rather dumb that multiple people can have the same names but the same person can't...

however...

I really don't see how this is a big deal. just delete your lower tier ship..you have NO use for it..seriously..no use....Constitution class is my favorite but when I move up I'm not gonna break out my tier 2 ship just to go....."that was fun" then switch back..you're severely handicapping yourself by trying to use a lower tier ship in higher tier content.

but again it is rather dumb you can't do it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Just to add to this: When I got my new ship, I decided to change the name to my former ship as well and found that it edited it slightly (probably because of the aforementioned unique ship name thing). The problem is it doesn't seem to allow me to change the names anymore after you change it the first time. The name is greyed out and I have no option to pay to change it. I had an option to pay to change the registry number, but not the name.

So the question I have is this: Can we change the name of our ships as many times as we want? Am I missing something?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Don't see why all our ships can't have the same name. I would like to rename them now A, B etc. But it's all greyed out. Can I only do it at a shipyard?