Lt. Commander
# 1 Refunds
02-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Below is the verbatim from my customer service ticket. Has anyone been able to successfully get a refund? If so, how long did it take?

Refund - #********

Star Trek Online 02/06/2010

Hello,

I would like to receive a refund on my lifetime subscription to this game. It has been reported that this is possible within the 30 day trial period.

Thank you,

RH*************

Customer Service Response:

There have been no responses to this ticket yet.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't think anyone will. Not to be crass, but this is the first game I've ever heard of with a lifetime subscription, and I'm almost certain it was a ploy to get as much money as they could before this game eventually went the way of SWG. Who knows though, get enough people together and maybe you can get a class action suit started.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Lord of the rings online also offers one... but eh, i couldn't get into that game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-09-2010, 08:00 PM
I am still waiting to hear back from Atari and Cryptic, neither have updated my refund request yet either, and its going on 48+ hours now.

Good luck to all of you trying to get your money back, I have already contacted my bank and they suggested I file it as a fraud case, as apparently I am not the only one who has contacted the bank about this game after getting no timely response from the company.

Any other suggestions or has anyone had any success on getting your money back?

Side note to OP:

I too have had no update to my support ticket for refund... its just sits there with no action
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakoshen View Post
I don't think anyone will. Not to be crass, but this is the first game I've ever heard of with a lifetime subscription, and I'm almost certain it was a ploy to get as much money as they could before this game eventually went the way of SWG. Who knows though, get enough people together and maybe you can get a class action suit started.
/putontinfoilhat

Ploy? Wow, astounding. If it were a dishonest ploy the better business bureau would be all over them. It was an offer for those who wanted it with a little bit of incentive through perks. I doubt many people actually got one. Ask around, do some investigative journalism. I think you will be surprised by the lack of lifers.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2010, 08:02 PM
The BBB is a joke, and has no power to do anything. We all know Bioware is a great company, however their BBB score is "F" as well, simply because they do not subscribe to BBB and handle their own affairs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhend1 View Post
Below is the verbatim from my customer service ticket. Has anyone been able to successfully get a refund? If so, how long did it take?

Refund - #********

Star Trek Online 02/06/2010

Hello,

I would like to receive a refund on my lifetime subscription to this game. It has been reported that this is possible within the 30 day trial period.

Thank you,

RH*************

Customer Service Response:

There have been no responses to this ticket yet.
This is why you fail. No one ever reads the full contract when they buy something nowa days. they just buy then want thier cash back when they seem to not like it.

Here is my take on this. The prelaunch and near end of open beta promoted the life time sub. You had up untill 1 Feb to buy the damned thing. You like the sucker you are bought it and got board with the game and cry for your sach back.

Its not Crypticas fault fo you lack of "enjoying" the game at a decent pace. yet They(Cryptic) gave you near 2 weeks to drop 250 bucks into a life time sub.

IMO if i was in cryptic shoes you would get a letter that read something like this.

Dear *****

I am sorry to hear that you have lost intrest in the game. Sadly all sales are final and you are basicly SOl on getting the 250 for your already paid life time sub scription. Since we can not "delete" accounts and you already recived the bonuses that come with the Life time sub the contract you agreed to by acceting and sending the payment is binding.

Again sorry for your mistake but we can not help you

Cryptic.

But maybe this is why I do not work for a gaming company.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadios View Post
The BBB is a joke, and has no power to do anything. We all know Bioware is a great company, however their BBB score is "F" as well, simply because they do not subscribe to BBB and handle their own affairs.
They stated no refunds, yet you still went ahead and purchased the lifetime?

Sounds like your problem and personally I think you should have to suffer the consequences.

I can't wait for SW:TOR to launch and not be everything everyone builds it up to be. I'll still play but I can't wait to see the forum process repeat itself. "The game sucks!" "You said this and that" "Why are the servers always down?"
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Perhaps you misunderstand the meaning of "lifetime"
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
/putontinfoilhat

Ploy? Wow, astounding. If it were a dishonest ploy the better business bureau would be all over them. It was an offer for those who wanted it with a little bit of incentive through perks. I doubt many people actually got one. Ask around, do some investigative journalism. I think you will be surprised by the lack of lifers.
Perhaps my disappointment in the game has made me a bit cynical, and I know "ploy" was perhaps too strong a word, but I can't think of one that fits better. I didn't mean to imply that a large number of people would buy lifetime subscriptions, but they knew the quality of the game they were putting out, they knew there would be high amounts of ragequits so why NOT get some money from the more trusting, gullible or dedicated? The BBB wouldn't touch this as it's a legitimate deal; you get a lifetime subscription for as long as the product is available, unless I'm mistaken.

Do I think some guys in suits sit around a big table thinking of ways to fleece the unsuspecting? No. Do I think some guy in marketing pitched this to his boss when he was gunning for a promotion? Maybe.