Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 71
02-10-2010, 02:30 AM
is'nt communication all about getting your point across. i dont care how its done, as long i get your point your fine with me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 72
02-10-2010, 02:42 AM
French dude here, you can lecture me when you can type perfect French. English mother tongue people should just be happy to actually be able to read what French/German/Dutch/Swedish/etc. people post. Just be glad we're not like the Russians in WOW who have 0 interest in communicating in English.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 73
02-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcong
French dude here, you can lecture me when you can type perfect French. English mother tongue people should just be happy to actually be able to read what French/German/Dutch/Swedish/etc. people post. Just be glad we're not like the Russians in WOW who have 0 interest in communicating in English.
Very reasonable point, I continue to be thoroughly impressed with the quality of English I hear spoken by people for whom it is not their native language. I spent many years at school learning French, and I would say that I am capable of understanding it when written to a reasonable level, but nowhere near well enough to be able to converse in it as fluently as some converse in English. My personal problem is with English people, people who I interact with every day, making no attempt whatsoever to speak properly. A lot of the foreign students where I work make more of an effort than the native students. We have expectiations of foreign students to learn to speak Engligh to a high standard. Should we not have the same expectations of the students who grew up speaking it? That said, if I understand the message I usually won't go out of my way to correct spelling. I will simply have a small nerdrage quietly to myself and then move on. It's not that big a deal really.

Edted to correct glaring typos.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 74
02-10-2010, 03:04 AM
I guess my English is a cheating a bit since I have been speaking the language for around 25 years (which is more than most English mother tongue people here have lived). That said a little understanding goes a long way.

(Note: it infuriates me to read badly written posts but then I remember my son's attempts to communicate with English speaking people on MW2 and I have to chuckle)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 75
02-10-2010, 06:56 AM
Casual misspellings? Okay, that's fine, whatever.

Misspelling frequently misspelled things, or confusing words that sound the same but spelled differently, really bother me.

People make mistakes. That's fine. A slip of the finger occasionally, we're all guilty of it.

But literacy is very important. It may not appear so important on a forum for a bunch of people who have only gathered to play a video game, but if nothing else, it's important for posterity's sake. Sure, language changes and mutates over the course of time. But there's just this huge splattering of differing spellings and differing grammar, and it must be incrediby confusing to anyone who wants to properly learn the language. The most recent 2009 census would have you believe that our literacy is at 99% because there's that many people over the age of 15 who can read and write. However...

Quote:
The Census Bureau reported literacy rates of 99% based on personal interviews of a relatively small portion of the population and on written responses to Census Bureau mailings. They also considered individuals literate if they simply stated that they could read and write, and made the assumption that anyone with a fifth grade education had at least an 80% chance of being literate.
As it is, our language is one of the most difficult ones to learn, next to Russian, or learning to write thousand of Chinese-based kanji/characters. What kind of an example do we set when people who are supposedly "fluent" in the language can't do so much as to at least put forth effort to write intelligibly? Other difficult languages have better literacy, their countries, have higher wages, etc. The National Assessment of Adult Literacy tested American adults in 2003. If we're to take these more quality tests by NAAL instead of the ones taken by the Census, "then the resultant literacy rate for the United States would be at most 65-85% depending on where in the basic, minimal competence quantile one sets the cutoff." That's pretty low, right?

Quote:
A follow-up study by the same group of researchers using a smaller database (19,714 interviewees) was released in 2006 that showed no statistically significant improvement in U.S. adult literacy.[6] These studies assert that 46% to 51% of U.S. adults read so poorly that they earn "significantly" below the threshold poverty level for an individual.
Now, again, I want to make myself clear that I realize that misspellings are GOING to happen. I also haven't gone and picked apart anybody's spelling around here. It's not that big a deal, certainly on forums. HOWEVER, I do think that we should get in the habit of writing properly. Because if we don't, we'll start misspelling when it really matters. And what about our kids? Will our kids be more or less literate than us? I actually hope they're MORE literate than we are.

(BTW, I am, of course, approaching this as a US citizen. Where people can't read and write worth beans.)

Part of my source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literac..._United_States
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 76
02-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Actually, I was making a point. He probably understood every word of what I said, even though I made a point of using the egregious misspellings listed in that article. I do think that the whole "go back to English class," "you're an idiot for having imperfect spelling and grammar" thing is extremely pretentious.

I have near-perfect spelling and grammar myself, and I have no problem understanding posts that are MUCH worse than the one I made earlier in this thread.

Quit *****ing about other peoples' spelling and grammar when you can still understand what they're trying to say. It's not THAT important, and it's just plain rude to do so.
While I would agree that it does come off as elitist, most browsers come with a spell checker. You can spell a word wrong, and it gets underlined in red. You just have to right click it and click the word in a menu to spell it right. You don't even have to know how to spell anymore.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 77
02-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denare View Post
While I would agree that it does come off as elitist, most browsers come with a spell checker. You can spell a word wrong, and it gets underlined in red. You just have to right click it and click the word in a menu to spell it right. You don't even have to know how to spell anymore.
The trap is that spellcheckers aren't flawless. I HAVE to know how to spell and if unsure I have to look words up in a dictionary. My essays have to be written in an intelligent and accurate way or I lose marks, its as simple as that. Its not really important on forums although I for one try to keep my spelling and grammar correct. But I do worry that it is a symptom of a culture that is allowing standards to slip for the sake of inclusion.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 78
02-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michlo View Post
Lol, definitely a good read. The one that really grinds my gears is the lose vs. loose. I'm not sure if folks do that just because they think it's funny or if they really are that ignorant.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 79
02-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarzGurl View Post
Casual misspellings? Okay, that's fine, whatever.

Misspelling frequently misspelled things, or confusing words that sound the same but spelled differently, really bother me.

People make mistakes. That's fine. A slip of the finger occasionally, we're all guilty of it.

But literacy is very important. It may not appear so important on a forum for a bunch of people who have only gathered to play a video game, but if nothing else, it's important for posterity's sake. Sure, language changes and mutates over the course of time. But there's just this huge splattering of differing spellings and differing grammar, and it must be incrediby confusing to anyone who wants to properly learn the language. The most recent 2009 census would have you believe that our literacy is at 99% because there's that many people over the age of 15 who can read and write. However...



As it is, our language is one of the most difficult ones to learn, next to Russian, or learning to write thousand of Chinese-based kanji/characters. What kind of an example do we set when people who are supposedly "fluent" in the language can't do so much as to at least put forth effort to write intelligibly? Other difficult languages have better literacy, their countries, have higher wages, etc. The National Assessment of Adult Literacy tested American adults in 2003. If we're to take these more quality tests by NAAL instead of the ones taken by the Census, "then the resultant literacy rate for the United States would be at most 65-85% depending on where in the basic, minimal competence quantile one sets the cutoff." That's pretty low, right?



Now, again, I want to make myself clear that I realize that misspellings are GOING to happen. I also haven't gone and picked apart anybody's spelling around here. It's not that big a deal, certainly on forums. HOWEVER, I do think that we should get in the habit of writing properly. Because if we don't, we'll start misspelling when it really matters. And what about our kids? Will our kids be more or less literate than us? I actually hope they're MORE literate than we are.

(BTW, I am, of course, approaching this as a US citizen. Where people can't read and write worth beans.)

Part of my source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literac..._United_States
I love you. =P
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 80
02-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michlo View Post
So it is not important to attempt to diminish the diminishing of our language?

Wow.

That is very sad.
Haha!

This made me laugh!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:28 PM.