Lt. Commander
# 341
02-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa Holly
As a lady, I'm all for being treated differently if it means I'm getting something out of it... Like drinks at Ten Forward, a new Warp Modulator, that really awesome pink hull on the top of my ship.

Oh, whoops. I think I just made Gloria Steinem cry. And set the Girl Power movement so eloquently put in place by the Spice Girls back about 45 years.

:-)
And as a gentleman, it is my pleasure to offer you drinks simply for the pleasure of your company. Say, Quark's, at 2100 hours?
Lt. Commander
# 342
02-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Diodes
And as a gentleman, it is my pleasure to offer you drinks simply for the pleasure of your company. Say, Quark's, at 2100 hours?
::applaud::
Lt. Commander
# 343
02-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Wait... You a gentleman?
AHAHAHAHAHA... Oh wait... You were serious? *snoggie*
Lt. Commander
# 344
02-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Wait... You a gentleman?
Fine! Be that way! Nobody said you had to accept our drinks :p
Lt. Commander
# 345
02-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintar07 View Post
Fine! Be that way! Nobody said you had to accept our drinks :p
Well... Chat only really drinks whiskey so...
Lt. Commander
# 346
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Differently? yes. Unequally? no. Do you really not understand the distinction between equality and sameness?

No two people are alike. Common knowledge- even identical twins have differences in personality, taste, hobbies, etc.

All people are created equally. Common opinion- all humans regardless of age, disability, race, etc. have equal value.

So, people are equal, but they are different. Treat them accordingly!

People are different. Accept it. Enjoy it! That's what makes life so much fun!

Do you treat your mother the same way as your father? No, of course not- that would be silly. Does this mean you are treating one of them badly? I certainly hope not.

I really feel like I'm stating the obvious here.

[/philosophy] (please!?)
I guess I don't understand, the last time I checked the dictionary the word "Equal" means " of the SAME measure". Call me a bona fide idiot if you will, but honestly I am now baffled!
Lt. Commander
# 347
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa Holly
::applaud::
*gently takes her hand, bowing to place a light kiss on her fingers* You are most gracious. Welcome to the forums, it is an honor to have you, and a pleasure to make your acquaintance.
Lt. Commander
# 348
02-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Wait... You a gentleman?
*grins* Oh, I'm full of surprises, my dear Chat. How else could I maintain my air of mystery?
Lt. Commander
# 349
02-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrailsgalore View Post
I guess I don't understand, the last time I checked the dictionary the word "Equal" means " of the SAME measure". Call me a bona fide idiot if you will, but honestly I am now baffled!
Well, are all people the same? Obviously not, but we consider them all to be equal on some level.

And that's the answer. You can't pretend that everybody is exactly the same and you can't treat everybody exactly the same. And if equal has to mean exactly the same, then people aren't equal either, so it doesn't matter.
Lt. Commander
# 350
02-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrailsgalore View Post
"of the same measure" not "of the same everything".

Being the same in one way (equal value) does not make people the same in every way.

In other words- what Sintar said. I'm just phrasing it differently in case it helps.