Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
02-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousCoal View Post
We need some kind of meaningful open pvp area. Even if it's end-game pvp.

I keep thinking back to how Starfleet Command 2 and SFC3 had such a fun campaign setup. Though it was a hex-based map, you coud team up with 2 buddies and fight enemy NPCs to flip each location. There were even starbase & planet attack situations. Of course, the enemy would always show up once they saw where you were. The 3v3 battles were a blast. Having an unconquerable base area for each side (safe zone) and lots of space in between to claim for your side in some kind of sector block.

I'm hoping to see something similar to this after the Klingons get some PvE content. There's a war going on, ya know.
I think what this game needs is world pvp such as a sector block were people fight for control of systems and outposts and when they conquer these planets they get some pvp and pve small quests do such as defend the planet or go collect so and so or go and take out an pve enemy force because as somone else said Klingon are pvp and conquers so yes we need world pvp to make the game more exciting
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_James_of_Cadiz
it would be kewls if all feds got a system wide msg (or those that sign up for it) that DS9 was under attack - all hand to battle staions - warp 9 to DS9 to engage the enemy...
have it set up where when you get into DS9 map, you a bir away from the action (so as not to get camped) and you must defend the space staion....make it a two to three hr event...
rewards could be given per class and tier based on either dmg or heals, or something else....but there needs to be classed based awarding.
even though DS9 may be a bad place, since obvious it is in the story line for the feds, if a side won, they could have say an additional buff option or a base modifier to stats for a week or until the next emergency msg...
I was thinking something similar as a matter of fact. It's the same with Qo'nos or our PvP station (Don't remember how to spell the name of the system station) as well.

You're in an instance and a message comes up....Klingons are invading SOL or Feds are invading Qo'nos, all ships to defend..

The attackers would also be attacking the NPCs which would have the ability to drop loot (uncommon on up to very rare depending on importance).

There also needs to be a ladder reward system set up for End Game PvP on very rare items including some 5v5, 10v10, 20v20 arena matches. Having this on top of Open PvP.

If we had the Neutral Zone contested, no matter what level, the enemy areas opened for those invasions (Option to PvP based upon the choice of the defender within their own area), End Game Ladder system w/ the arena setup...PvP would still be consensual for the ones that really want it and pacify the PvPers that want to rip something up.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
dude - im not arguing about levels in general - im saying that cryptic does not have the load out situated to do this right now.
even as of today they instance enemy contact missions...and we went into one as a group and got seperated due to the nature of cryptics setup. now tell me then how they could even think of implimenting a larger instance where teams would want to join, either cant or get seperated due to the way cryptic works.

i dont care about levels really, that is mute, id play for the fun of it, but your avoiding the main issue - cryptic does not employ larger instancing or "war zones" as such to make it work as you describe. at least not now.
Didnt they show case the possibilty/ability on the last day of Open Beta? Didnt they say we'd have 20-40 player ship raid content? 20-40ships...or whatever insane number of players during end of open beta isnt enough ships for an objective area?

The idea is to have many objective areas/systems so any number of them can under active contention at anytime based on where players choose to acquire/defend. Ideally most objective systems would be handling small groups of combatants from 1-12 ships at a time. SOme areas will undoublty attract higher numbers like 25, with likly a few systems having 40.

Im not convinced it they cant do it, or wont be able to do it if they chose to.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
Didnt they show case the possibilty/ability on the last day of Open Beta? Didnt they say we'd have 20-40 player ship raid content? 20-40ships...or whatever insane number of players during end of open beta isnt enough ships for an objective area?

The idea is to have many objective areas/systems so any number of them can under active contention at anytime based on where players choose to acquire/defend. Ideally most objective systems would be handling small groups of combatants from 1-12 ships at a time. SOme areas will undoublty attract higher numbers like 25, with likly a few systems having 40.

Im not convinced it they cant do it, or wont be able to do it if they chose to.
they showed a bit - but then your contradicting the concept of a "war" scenerio if you limit an objective area to 20 or even 40 players/ships. makes no sense then to even consider it a war scenerio - might as well call it another instnace with more objectives.
in order to make it work, they would have to open an area, say DS9, and disconinue all missions during the open war in that area -as an example.
again - limiting the player numbers is just another instnace - and they way they work now - your team could get split up and end up in different places and then what?
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog_y2k
I was thinking something similar as a matter of fact. It's the same with Qo'nos or our PvP station (Don't remember how to spell the name of the system station) as well.

You're in an instance and a message comes up....Klingons are invading SOL or Feds are invading Qo'nos, all ships to defend..

The attackers would also be attacking the NPCs which would have the ability to drop loot (uncommon on up to very rare depending on importance).

There also needs to be a ladder reward system set up for End Game PvP on very rare items including some 5v5, 10v10, 20v20 arena matches. Having this on top of Open PvP.

If we had the Neutral Zone contested, no matter what level, the enemy areas opened for those invasions (Option to PvP based upon the choice of the defender within their own area), End Game Ladder system w/ the arena setup...PvP would still be consensual for the ones that really want it and pacify the PvPers that want to rip something up.
ill agree - but not have drops as much during open war...i think the rewards should be a base stat modifier for everyone that participated and more of a midifer for the winning faction. driops should not be the reason people engage in the war since that screams individualism - and players might depart after they get a rare drop and leave the others to finish...i would prefer the reward be for everyone that helped and answered the call to duty, rather then player drops.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
they showed a bit - but then your contradicting the concept of a "war" scenerio if you limit an objective area to 20 or even 40 players/ships. makes no sense then to even consider it a war scenerio - might as well call it another instnace with more objectives.
in order to make it work, they would have to open an area, say DS9, and disconinue all missions during the open war in that area -as an example.
again - limiting the player numbers is just another instnace - and they way they work now - your team could get split up and end up in different places and then what?
believe me, Ive love no limits, but Im willing to accept a limit based on the typical battle size during peak periods. War isnt just one big battle....its a series of individual battles raging through out the campaign. There is no reason to assume we'd always have 100s of people all fighting in one place at once. Instead, we can expect more reasnable numbers within many objective areas at once.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
Competitive is in the heart and in the spirit...not the tools. Plus the current PvP content can remain.

The idea is to provide mixed-tiered Fleets. Its factional...all sides will ahve a mix of ship levels. The side silly enough to have no low tier players will just have more ships shooting at them.
In a perfect world.

Which this one ain't.

"All sides will have a mix of ship levels"? No, no, no, no. In MMO terms it is "Both sides have a bunch of n00bs mixed in". As wonderful and beautiful as mixed fleets working in harmony would be and as much as I'd enjoy the kind of scenario, in reality we will have the "we've lost because of the damned newbs" - situation.

No one will want the lower levels to participate.

No lower level (don't take me out of context either. While a T4 ship can take on a T5, no Miranda is going to take on an Akira) will be able to compete.

In MMOs it's about the tools. Spirit and heart will play secondary roll to superior mathematical model of higher-end ships.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palach
In a perfect world.

Which this one ain't.

"All sides will have a mix of ship levels"? No, no, no, no. In MMO terms it is "Both sides have a bunch of n00bs mixed in". As wonderful and beautiful as mixed fleets working in harmony would be and as much as I'd enjoy the kind of scenario, in reality we will have the "we've lost because of the damned newbs" - situation.

No one will want the lower levels to participate.

No lower level (don't take me out of context either. While a T4 ship can take on a T5, no Miranda is going to take on an Akira) will be able to compete.

In MMOs it's about the tools. Spirit and heart will play secondary roll to superior mathematical model of higher-end ships.
Coordination is great, but the whole faction's representation in a battle does not have to be coordinated. Let the lone wolves and noobs do their thing. In most cases, their individual efforts will be mutually benefical to the Coordinated Group and vice-versa. Even if only a small portion of one side is coordinated, it'll generally out perform the other group with none.

Sometimes some memebers of a force will be off the farm...thats war. But at least he cant go off and ruin a battle by dying to many times if there is no TDM kill tally for victory. If you are lucky, there is a player death limit and he is unable to re-enter
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-10-2010, 03:24 PM
I suggested to Jack Emmert personally about Open PvP back in Beta and he agreed. Said they were working on it.

Right now, the closest we got to Open PvP is the Borg Hunt zone, especially the zones that are multi-level. Today, I had fun quickly killing a B'rel in my Galaxy, then later fighting a Vo'Quv. (Strong SOB, and it's true, it's unrammable.)

So I could easily see Open PvP being the same, where a Tier 1 person could run into a Tier 5 person and have the optinon to "Die honorably" or "Live to fight another day". Or Player Fleets getting together with some friendly PvP action.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I suggested to Jack Emmert personally about Open PvP back in Beta and he agreed. Said they were working on it.
Suggested what exactly?!?!?1

To what extent are they looking at it...details, details. A bunch of Borg resources missions woul dbite...granted thats all Ive seen...Im a Klingon.