Lt. Commander
# 51
02-10-2010, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamui View Post
You mean like a Government Agency of some sort? Hey, I know! Howabout...the customer? The customer decides if ANY game is worth the price of the box. Just as the customer decides if any movie is the price of admission. Sure, sometimes the customer makes a mistake, in which case he can try to get a refund or just move on.

A larger issue here is why are you insisting that your OPINION that the game is flawed and unfinished is the only valid opinion? Obviously Morgan's opinion is that the game is worth his money and he is enjoying it. Yet, you seem to believe that YOUR opinion should take precedence over his own. Do you not realize that your opinion is just that...YOUR opinion? That other people's opinions may vary? That people may even like different things then you? I know, this has nothing to do with the game, but I'm not talking about the game. I'm talking about you, and why you think your opinion is the only thing that should matter to other people.
I'm not saying that he is wrong. I just can't understand why someone would defend companies rushing out games unfinished. Specially if you actually enjoy playing them in their unfinished state, just imagine how much fun it would be polished. I meant no disrespect and I would never try and say everyone should be my opinion. If I did I aplologize. Might have been lost in translation. Everyone likes different things and everyone should have his own opinion. You get no argument from me there.

Concerning the quality issue: I was more talking about the IP holder. Like Blizzard ( I know bad example) did with Starcraft Ghost. Developed it. Saw it was crap. Never released it. Same thing with that ******** adventure game.

Then again, most games based on Movies or TV Shows are much much worse. Just with a fanbase as strong as Star Trek, I just expected more I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganUK View Post
I am not disputing the OP valid points, just answering them in my opinion. I have been playing games since the lowly Monster Maze on the ZX81, and have tried almost every MMO going, including 3.5 years with WoW. I have also watched, and own every Star Trek episode and Film, and am also enough of a fan to have gone to exhibitions, and read (sometimes horrified at how bad they are) Novels. Hence I think I am qualified as both Gamer and Trekkie to have my own valid opinion.

I look at the 'butchering' of IP the same way I look at the 'breaking of lore' in WoW. Everything progresses, everything changes, so deal with it. I do class myself as a Star Trek fan, and I find nothing offensive in what has been done so far. I class myself as a games player, and have been playing for hours and hours and have definitly had my moneys worth (so far).

Cryptic have had to strike a fine line between the Star Trek genre , making a game interesting and easily playable, and with suitable options for personal customisation required in an MMO world.

Your's and the OP's opinion is not definitive, but personal. The OP (iand maybe yourself) have stated your cases and will no doubt leave, I myself, In summary, am a gamer, and a Trekkie, and the game appeals and satisfies on both counts.
Again, if I offended you, that was not my intention. Sorry about that.
Lt. Commander
# 52
02-10-2010, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRitter
OP its time to explore new worlds ...

go outside
QFT

I cannot understand how some people can get so worked up over a GAME. I've sunk quite a lot of money into this game and if it turns out that I didn't like it I wouldn't get angry...I'd uninstall it and go play my Mass Effect. I certainly wouldn't come on the forums to whine about how unfair it all is.
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamui View Post
NOOOOOO! Not MrGreaper! Please don't leave! You are such an important part of our community! We all care and love you so much! Don't leave! Why, remember that time we...we uhh...wait a minute. I don't know WHO the heck you are. HEY! Anyone know who this MrGreaper dude is? Anyone? No? So, um, why should we care that you're leaving again? Honest question. WHY should we care you're leaving? Because it's one less sub for Cryptic? Nah, that's something for Cryptic to worry about, not us. Frankly, I can't think of a reason why anyone would care you were leaving. You were never a part of our community to begin with, were you?

Many of the reasons you listed are either operator error, operator opinion, or (rarely) valid. Poldii did a pretty good job going over them. But I'm going to address the whole 'single player' aspect. First, how often did you see Kirk, Picard, Janeway, Sisko, or Archer team up with other ships? Few and far between. WOW! It's AMAZING we don't have forced grouping more often! Except...we do, at least at the lower levels. However, it is NOT any game company's job to force people to socialize. It is up to the people themselves to do that. So, if you've just been sitting on your laurels waiting for people to flock to you to be your friend no wonder you're all alone. Don't blame Cryptic because YOU couldn't make friends in the game.

You want to leave the game? Cool. That's your choice. The game isn't for you, you recognize that, and you're making the very wise choice of not sticking around. However, don't expect anyone to care.
to you and the others that are saying along the lines of "why should we care" or "why are you posting"

OPEN YOUR EYES ok done that? READ THE SECTION THIS IS IN! oooo shock horror its the feedback gameplay sections, wait is this feedback about gameplay...ooo i believe it is (see i can be just as condescending and act just as moronic as you)

to the people that have quoted me and answered my problems with there own opinions, i thank you, its interesting to read others opinions some of had me think hmmm yeah ok and others i disagree with but most have been well written and not fan boy flames. I really believe that if enough people say thier true feelings on the game, the things they want changed, this game could be good even great.

for the recold i have played

EVE (wasnt willing to quit my job to be able to keep up with people)
WOW*spit* (the game that has shaped so many new mmos and the reason that SWG went through CU and ultimatly NGE)
SWG (the game i hold all others to, it is still good, not as good as it was preCU but still is the only sandbox scifi mmo)
COH (dear god that was a bad game that and COV had i of made the connection between cryptic and COH i would never of brought the deluxe edition of star trek online never never never)
LOTR (pretty good but the world needs another fantasy MMO like it needs another iceage)
Conan (meh bitter disapointment)
archlord (got very repetitve)
mir 3 (still play on a free server)
planetside (great game)
theres more (some im still bound by a NDA or two )but those are the key ones

to those that say we dont need a science screen or engineering screen or whant clarity on what i wanted/expected in terms of depth
  1. to be able to fire probes configured to scan or as decoys or as improvised weapons
  2. to be able to disable enemys components (in the shows its always "target thier engines, target thier weapon systems") and dont give me the whole science ship lark, it debuffs not disables
  3. to have to limp away from a battle and repair
  4. to recieve a distress call from a friend fly over and help by beaming over survivers from his ship, towing it to a nearby spaceport, or simply extending my shields around his
  5. when my ship is badly damaged, to issue the abandon ship order and run for the escape pods (after giving my crew enough time to get to them first)
  6. to engage in diplomacy
  7. to explore (not race other players to floating words and scan them before they can)
  8. to recieve damage reports (captain we have a hull breach deck 12 etc)
  9. to have a real effect of losing crew (limp to a space port to recruit/issued more not this whole crew regineration lark, i mean what are they doing cloning them? or are my crew very sexualy active and use temporal anomies to age them?)
  10. a loss of a ship should be major not a "oh well i will respawn in 14 seconds" wheres the fear of death?

i really could go on like this all day this game is a major let down, maybe its my fault, i should never of played bridge commander or klingon accadamy or SWG or starfleet command then i might of been happy with the game, maybe its the fact gaming is my hobby not something i do just to pass an hour or so away.
but my points are all my opinion my perspective and as such are valid feedback, you can disagree, and thats valid to but stop the flameing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRitter
OP its time to explore new worlds ...

go outside
^example of a bad post not quite flaming but close to it. by the by im a night security guard i walk the eqiuivalent of about 10 miles a night around a multistory carpark i deal with drunks and druggies, i get enough outside thank you very much
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreaper View Post
  1. to be able to fire probes configured to scan or as decoys or as improvised weapons
  2. to be able to disable enemys components (in the shows its always "target thier engines, target thier weapon systems") and dont give me the whole science ship lark, it debuffs not disables
  4. to recieve a distress call from a friend fly over and help by beaming over survivers from his ship, towing it to a nearby spaceport, or simply extending my shields around his
  5. when my ship is badly damaged, to issue the abandon ship order and run for the escape pods (after giving my crew enough time to get to them first)
  7. to explore (not race other players to floating words and scan them before they can)
  9. to have a real effect of losing crew (limp to a space port to recruit/issued more not this whole crew regineration lark, i mean what are they doing cloning them? or are my crew very sexualy active and use temporal anomies to age them?)
  10. a loss of a ship should be major not a "oh well i will respawn in 14 seconds" wheres the fear of death?
A fair list, and I am sure that when unexplored parts of the galaxy are released, exploration will become a possibility.

The 14second respawn in a 100% perfect ship is one that bothers me a little, especially when 'ramming' an enemy becomes a viable option. Having to replace dead crew was a proposed option I believe, but was not implemented.

Damage could affect parts of the ship, and tactical targetting could become viable, maybe design your own tactical alert.. which critical systems would get maximum shielding etc.
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosuchobo View Post

Again, if I offended you, that was not my intention. Sorry about that.
Not offended, though after re-reading my post about my games and trek collection, I may as well tattoo the word "Geek" on my forehead. I also need to appologise to my gilrfriend who calls me a geeky anorak wearing nerd.. looks like she may have been correct all along. ^^
Lt. Commander
# 56
02-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganUK View Post
Not offended, though after re-reading my post about my games and trek collection, I may as well tattoo the word "Geek" on my forehead. I also need to appologise to my gilrfriend who calls me a geeky anorak wearing nerd.. looks like she may have been correct all along. ^^
we`ve all been there

as i posted that my mate was refreshing this thread, he said thats a bit harsh to say about your girl....it wasnt ment that way lol though he cracked me up, i ment having to apoligize to our girlfriends for being nerdy
Lt. Commander
# 57
02-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Quote:
im canceing my STO subscription becuase
1) its a single player game (teams of 4 people are not a full mmo experience)
try fleet actions, has more players.

2) you have butchered the IP (trills imune to toxins?!?! federation officers running around with guns in a federation starbase!?!? stealing from a monestry ?!?! no stuning or locking up all kill kill kill kill!!! )
I think some fans have pacified the idea of the Federation into a bunch of wimps over time, just my opinion though.

3) every mission is the same fly here kill that click this hunt that
see answer to #2

4) its not worth the money
It is to me.

5) you have done nothing to stop gold farmers invading our chat and mail
Agreed. I don't tend to check my ingame mail anyways.

6) no reason to work with others
Try doing a fleet action alone.

7) crafting system is a shop not a crafting system
agreed. It needs work.

8) wheres the ability to explore and name planets as promised in prevouse interviews
I explore alot, but never heard the promise to name anything ingame.

9) severly dumbed down gameplay, wheres the advanced features
I agree the combat is too easy at times.

10) useless bridge that serves no functionality
was put in to placate the raving fans who wanted a bridge view to massage thier egoes, so the game currently doesn't support bridge control.

11) disrupters able to be fitted to fed ships and phasers to klingon ships (see butchering IP)
Nitpick
12) name filter not working (if i see one more kirk or picard flying the uss lolipop ill scream)
nitpick
13) server taken down peak time on a sunday (GMT)
nitpick

14) no wildlife on the planets unless its needed to be shot at or scanned
I agree, a little "life" would be a nice immersive touch.

15) no ability to beam down to planets to explore
I do this all the time in missions. You don't have to leave when its over. Stay and walk around.

16) no engineering screen or science screen etc
don't need them.

17) no imersion (instead of load screens have a view of the bridge with an animation in the view screen of warp or see the crew beam out and beam in)
pratice you suspension of disbelief skills more. Since Star Trek is not real to begin with this should be an easy skill to grow.

18) server unable to handle all us mugs that brought the game (doubt that will be a problem a few months down the line)
nitpick

19)no depth, all seemed to be aimed at casual gamers not real gamers.
Casual gamers are real gamers
happy now?
Lt. Commander
# 58
02-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Quote:
to you and the others that are saying along the lines of "why should we care" or "why are you posting"

OPEN YOUR EYES ok done that? READ THE SECTION THIS IS IN! oooo shock horror its the feedback gameplay sections, wait is this feedback about gameplay...ooo i believe it is (see i can be just as condescending and act just as moronic as you)

to the people that have quoted me and answered my problems with there own opinions, i thank you, its interesting to read others opinions some of had me think hmmm yeah ok and others i disagree with but most have been well written and not fan boy flames. I really believe that if enough people say thier true feelings on the game, the things they want changed, this game could be good even great.

for the recold i have played

EVE (wasnt willing to quit my job to be able to keep up with people)
WOW*spit* (the game that has shaped so many new mmos and the reason that SWG went through CU and ultimatly NGE)
SWG (the game i hold all others to, it is still good, not as good as it was preCU but still is the only sandbox scifi mmo)
COH (dear god that was a bad game that and COV had i of made the connection between cryptic and COH i would never of brought the deluxe edition of star trek online never never never)
LOTR (pretty good but the world needs another fantasy MMO like it needs another iceage)
Conan (meh bitter disapointment)
archlord (got very repetitve)
mir 3 (still play on a free server)
planetside (great game)
theres more (some im still bound by a NDA or two )but those are the key ones

to those that say we dont need a science screen or engineering screen or whant clarity on what i wanted/expected in terms of depth

i really could go on like this all day this game is a major let down, maybe its my fault, i should never of played bridge commander or klingon accadamy or SWG or starfleet command then i might of been happy with the game, maybe its the fact gaming is my hobby not something i do just to pass an hour or so away.
but my points are all my opinion my perspective and as such are valid feedback, you can disagree, and thats valid to but stop the flameing

^example of a bad post not quite flaming but close to it. by the by im a night security guard i walk the eqiuivalent of about 10 miles a night around a multistory carpark i deal with drunks and druggies, i get enough outside thank you very much
From your list of games your pretty much a wipper snapper to MMO games (unless for some reason you skipped the true Parents of the MMO world and instad just gave WoW that title (shaping other games, WoW is actually shaped by its predocessors) like so many do).

Some of your points are very valid, some, not so much as if you had played almost all the game you list, none where really much more then STO (unfinished, not complete, lag issues, down alot for fixes, and no where even close to what they ended up being later) at launch. It 'appears" you where a SWG fan at some point. When that game was in beta it was basicly unplayable, skills did not work at all, many classes had none, etc..., when SWG went live it was lagger then when STO was in beta. SWG was a pretty interesting game (and like you the combat change ruined it for me too). But it was barren, being able to go anywhere is cool, but when nothing is there (well, except player housing later in the game), who cares. Basicly saying, if you really did play all those games an launch, and you think STO is worse, your memory is bad. As for content, and gameplay thats an opinion thing.

But most of your points (and everybody else's including mine) are OPINION based. What is fun? - its a different thing to each of us. What is trek? It more then what is on TV, what was in the movies, what was in the comics, so saying they are not Trek like is.. OPINION.

BUT the big thing, you did lay out some pretty valid points, I like that, and totally understand why you did. YOu got a huge thread going, so there must be somthing to it, either the haters or the agree'ers are posting.

For the hate for the OP, he wasnt to quit, I'm willing to bet so do alot of others, this game did not live up ot expectations. many games dont to come people, no big "new" thing. he expressed why in a civil way. Disagree, point out why and move on.

For the people who agree with OP, cool, express why and go play whatever does work out and is "fun". Thanks for letting Cryptic know why, I am pretty sure they do care, and want to know why you dont like the game.

then we can all let it go.. those who stay can play, those who do not can ...err go play something else?
Lt. Commander
# 59
02-10-2010, 05:53 PM
[quote=clok1966;2027271]From your list of games your pretty much a wipper snapper to MMO games (unless for some reason you skipped the true Parents of the MMO world and instad just gave WoW that title (shaping other games, WoW is actually shaped by its predocessors) like so many do).

Some of your points are very valid, some, not so much as if you had played almost all the game you list, none where really much more then STO (unfinished, not complete, lag issues, down alot for fixes, and no where even close to what they ended up being later) at launch. It 'appears" you where a SWG fan at some point. When that game was in beta it was basicly unplayable, skills did not work at all, many classes had none, etc..., when SWG went live it was lagger then when STO was in beta. SWG was a pretty interesting game (and like you the combat change ruined it for me too). But it was barren, being able to go anywhere is cool, but when nothing is there (well, except player housing later in the game), who cares. Basicly saying, if you really did play all those games an launch, and you think STO is worse, your memory is bad. As for content, and gameplay thats an opinion thing.

/QUOTE]

i was a huge fan of SWGbut i came in when player towns were active so i may off missed the lag etc.

I do hope to return latter in the year and hopefuly some of the glitches will be gone and there will be more immersion/depth

space combat though incredably basic is fun (in short periods) and i feel that sto is a good start to the game( hard to word, i would say foundation for a game but theres a lot i feel needs changed not merly worked on ie the "crafting system" )

as you quite rightly say this is purely my opinion

oh for the recold i regreat my wording of casual gamer versus real gamer, im dyslexic and have difficulty wording things read that as this is aimed at casual gamers (those that just want to pick up a game play for an hour then leave it for a bit) not hardcore gamers(those that play for hours on end)