Lt. Commander
# 1 Cover shield
02-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I have promoted my engineer away team officer and now he can employ the cover shield.

I thought this would aid the team but all he does now is employ the shield and hide behind it during battle! He juut sits there while the rest of us are soaking up fire.

Anyone else noticed this? I don't want to baby sit him and tell him where he should be all the time. I think if i set him a way point he would just put a new shield up and cower there instead.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2010, 05:00 AM
lol, yes I noticed this too. It's actually pretty annoying, one less weapon to deal damage and he usually puts the shield up in some stupid place that blocks me from moving too. I thought that training him in cover shield would be a benefit to the rest of the away team, but he is just too quick to throw up a cover shield.

Having said that I still find my BO cowering in a corner behind the shield quite amusing, but then I haven't really hit a mission yet where his other talents and firepower have made a significant difference to the team. :p
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2010, 05:08 AM
I've had that problem with my bridge officers as well, and with other special powers they use. One thing I've found that helps a bit with this is trying to control the field of battle before the fight, when it is possible. Basically I try to pull the NPC groups to an area I have prepped with my bridge officers in advance. Usually around a corner or right outside of a doorway.

First, if there are any sort of things like the shield, turrets, etc. I'll use the Rally Point feature to move them to where I want them to drop it. Then I'll tell them to drop it via the icons next to their names on the team screen. Finally, I'll use the Rally Point to place them where I want them to be when the enemy NPC's show up. Then, I go and get aggro from the NPC group I want, and try to lead/pull them back to the area I had just prepped with my bridge officers.

It's a little more time consuming, but works better until Cryptic smartens up the AI a bit. And it helps cut down on the bridge officers pulling aggro off another group due to their tendency to run willy-nilly around a room.

It can still work on the outdoor maps, but can sometimes be not as effective in the open area's due to the enemy NPC's being able to move around. But, for the enclosed area's, it seems to work pretty good.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2010, 05:11 AM
You can disable a specific bo ability by rightclicking on the icon next to your bo. So you can use it if you want but the bo will not use it automatically. Hope it helps..
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2010, 05:34 AM
I don't even bother with the cover sheild, for my BO or my character. It just gets in the way in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2010, 06:27 AM
cover shield is only useful for pvp in long long corridors, and even then its risky because it takes so long to deploy

you can also use it for griefing by blocking dorways
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Actually, now that I think of it, in closed beta I trained an engineer officer in medical turret fabrication. Any time I stopped for more than 10 seconds, whether in combat, scanning an artifact or just checking the map, this guy had fabricated a medical turret - how paranoid is that?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niali View Post
Actually, now that I think of it, in closed beta I trained an engineer officer in medical turret fabrication. Any time I stopped for more than 10 seconds, whether in combat, scanning an artifact or just checking the map, this guy had fabricated a medical turret - how paranoid is that?
So your team is always prepared for an ambush/poison/radiation sickness/evil lifeform :p